Tivo Premiere OTA / Features / Cost

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jasper628, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jasper628

Jasper628 New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Northern...
    We've been long time (10 plus years) Tivo lovers. Have owned three series 2 units, 1 series 3 unit and now a Premiere unit as of 9 months ago.

When we bought our HD unit 4 years ago, we hooked up an antenna in the attic and it brought in a very clear HD signal form our local stations which all have antennas about 18 miles away....absolutely no problem. So we decied we want a new Premiere unit since we wanted to place the existing HD unit in the basement for a second Tivo. Since we installed the Premiere unit we've had nothing but frustration with OTA reception when there is anything but dead calm weather. I've tinkered around with the antenna, connections etc...., even swapped the two tivos around and found absolutely no reason why the Premiere won't get a strong signal.

I'm thinking that the tuner on the new Premiere's is substandard comparted to the tuner in my old HD unit. I also found that I don't use any of the new "features" on the Premiere....and that picture in a picture that barks at you while you're on the main screen is absolutely obnoxious and while you can turn it off....the very next time you go to the main screen....there is is again.

When I purchased the Premiere, I knew the cost was 19.99/month for the first year....foolishly thinking it would revert to the normal 12.95 after that.....NOT ! My understanding is that I'll be paying 19.99 for ever for a product that had no additional features I value and a substandard tuner that makes watching TV horrible when the weather is anything but dead calm.

So, I'm thinking of buying another HD unit on Ebay and once my one year contract is up on the Premiere....dumping it and hooking up another HD unit which hopefully will go back to 12.95/month service.

Has anyone else had this experience or something similar ? I can't be the only one thinking the Premiere unit stinks can I ?

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You'd be much better served buying an HD w/lifetime on fleabay, much better deal than paying $13 a month. Still going for around $350 last time I checked. I've also heard that the HD OTA tuner is better than what's in the Premiere, but just from reading threads here not from experience.

3. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Theoretically, the second Tivo HD will cost $9.99/month, not $12.95.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Are you sure the stations are still using the same frequencies as four years ago? In my area, with the analog shutoff, two stations switched from UHF to VHF and caused reception problems for alot of people.

5. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    my only experience with tivo prior to my premier was hr10250 and my t60. but i can say that the premiere's tuner is MUCH better than the directivo was. i even get a VHF channel even though my antenna is UHF only. if you are 18 miles away and have issues i'd be surprised it's your tivo..could it be overpowering it maybe? unsure?

my DB8 is on my roof peek on a tripod and i paid a ton of money to have a guy walk back and forth in millimeters to get the sweet spot and it's remained solid for over 5 years thru hurricane winds and everything

6. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    The OP states he's tried swapping the two Tivos and the Premiere is not working as well as the HD. The HD and Premiere should have the same OTA lineup assignments from Tivo, so frequency changes should be irrelevant in this case.

7. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    You're not alone. See this 7-page thread featuring numerous posts from others who've experienced similar results with the Premiere's OTA performance when directly compared to the HD.