Tivo Premiere or Tivo HDXL or Verizon's DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MathTeacher, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MathTeacher

MathTeacher New Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Our year of Verizon's "free" HD DVR is coming to an end and I am torn on what route we should take. My wife can't live without the DVR now that we've had one so I am looking for your expertise on what I should do. I am going between buying a refurbished Premiere with Lifetime through tivo.com or possibly buying a tivo HD with lifetime through a secondary market like Ebay. Our last option would be to pay the $17 a month for the Verizon DVR. It seems that the Tivo Premiere has a lot of nice options (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) that we can't access through our DVR which is making us thinking of dropping cable all together when our second year of contract is up. Anways I would like to know what you guys think, Premiere or HD or Verizon? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    A Tivo HD at $325 or so w/lifetime will run rings around the Verizon DVR and pay for itself in less than 2 years. Not counting the Cablecard rental, of course - I wonder what Verizon will charge for that after the new self-install rules take effect next month.

I don't think a Premiere is worth the ~$200 premium on ebay right now.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would go with the Premiere. I would NOT go with an XL version of any TiVo as there are tools out there to allow you to easily get a Premiere or HD to 2 TB.

4. mae

mae member

Dec 10, 2001
    USA
    Another option is to ask VZ for another year free. They will usually give you a $20 "loyal customer discount" for at least a year. They actually gave me $20 for two years when my free year was up. Reports at DSLR say that if the phone rep you get doesn't offer it, hang up and try again. Each rep seems to have their own attitude and authority.

Having both a Tivo and their box, I agree the Tivo is superior, but free is free and you seem satisfied with what you have. Reports on the new IMG 1,9 (not rolled out in my area yet) say it is much improved and allows the use of external storage. It also avoids making a decision.

Also, if you don't have the new 7232 (black case) I would swap for it a VZ store. It has a 500gb drive and is much faster. If you take their online swap offer, there is a $40 charge. None at the store,

5. MathTeacher

MathTeacher New Member

Jul 8, 2011

6. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    New FIOS box is fine for me. Should only get better with new software upgrade coming soon.

It lacks some of the Premiere's elegance at video recording and playback, but is more responsive to use. The FIOS TV Guide is faster too and can be customized to display only the channels you want shown.

VoD is a bonus as well. It's like having a couple of additional tuners because you don't have to record some shows.

I would hold out for the release of Quad tuner Premiere if I was in the market for a Premiere right now.

7. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    The tivo guide can be customized too. A consumer level 4 tuner Premiere is not planned for public release.

8. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Uh, yes it is, pending waiver approval from the FCC. Your information is dated.

9. MathTeacher

MathTeacher New Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you all for your help. I think I will try to get a credit for the next year and then trade up the Fios DVR.