TiVo Premiere or TiVo HD? (need quick advice)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sofakng, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    sofakng

sofakng Member

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm about to switch from Dish Network to Comcast and I'm going to use TiVo boxes but I'm not sure which model is best for me.

I'm going to have two boxes: one main box, and one for the kitchen/bedroom (shared).

Ideally, I'd like to stream/watch content freely between the two boxes. The main box will be mostly HD and the kitchen/bedroom will be mostly SD.

What's the difference between the Premiere and TiVo HD (Series 3)? The Premiere XL with the recent discount ($249.99 on Amazon plus $19.95/year) looks good so right now I'm thinking about:

TiVo Premiere XL (main)
    TiVo Premiere (bedroom/kitchen)

$40/month for DVR services does seem insanely expensive though...

2. May 5, 2011 #2 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Premiere is the current product so I would get 2 of those over a TiVo HD which is a discontinued product.

I find very little reason to get a Premiere XL over a Premiere for the $200 all you get is a glow remote, THX certification, & a larger hard drive.

It is very easy to upgrade the Internal Drive in a Premiere many people (including me) have upgraded to 2TB drives - costs about $80.

In my opinion the cheapest way to own TiVos is to buy them with lifetime service. If you have a friend with existing older TiVos they could buy Premieres with lifetime for either $469 or $500 each (depends on the upgrade offers they have) and sell them to you. If not you can get lifetime units on ebay. The last time I looked they were about $550.

If that doesn't work for you. You could buy refurbished units from TiVo.com. I would call TiVo and see what kind deal you can make on 2 units. They normally cost $99 with $12.95/mo service. The deal part would be getting other service options like lifetime or yearly and also perhaps getting a MSD on the second unit's service.

Good Luck,

3. May 5, 2011 #3 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    +1 on every point.

I have purchased a refurb- it was just like new. Lifetime is great too- not quite finished with my payback period but I know they have more value than when I was paying monthly.

Two Premieres will transfer content extremely fast. Two TiVo HDs would only transfer at around realtime, so not quite fast enough if plowing through commercials.

It is super easy to put in a new 2TB drive.

4. May 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Tivos *do not stream*. They copy from one Tivo to the other.

That is an important difference for (1) copy protection, and (2) disk space reasons.

5. May 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I agree, TIVO Premiere is the way to go and for all the reasons stated get the base Premiere, avoid the XL. The backlit remote is of questionable value. Lifetime service is also a costly "committment" for someone just now switching providers and not yet 100% sure how happy you're going to be after the switch. We have 2 of the Premier's, happy with both and bought the extended warranty on both. Your mileage may vary. The lifetime sub is not transferrable, not even between identical units in case one of yours dies and has to be replaced. That is one of the downsides of the lifetime sub.

6. May 6, 2011 #6 of 12
    larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    +1

With all of the 1-2TB drives out there, you can build your own XL a lot cheaper. And, I would recommend the Tivo Slide remote. GReat for YouTube, etc.

7. May 6, 2011 #7 of 12
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    My vote would be for the Premiere as well. The only possible exception would be if you found a great deal on a used TiVoHD with lifetime then add the Premiere later with lifetime through a special offer that is available to existing customers. One TiVoHD in the secondary system and Premiere in the primary system is probably good. I only have TiVoHD models subscribed now and have not had any problems.

8. May 6, 2011 #8 of 12
    kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    I recently dropped Directv and went OTA only. I chose the Tivo HD because of the lower monthly service cost. I wasn't interested in spending all the money up front for the lifetime service. So far I'm very happy with it, especially since I dropped a 1tb Samsung drive in.

9. May 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And the entire Series 3 line is reported to have superior OTA experience while the Premiere dosn't perform as well with with OTA. So, good choice. I love my Series 3 648 w/OLED and personally view the Premiere as a "step-down" model :). The 648 really was the Cadillac or Mercedes of all the TiVo's.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I got a Tivo HD last summer on the Blockbuster clearance, and put lifetime on it. Early this year, I ended up with a Tivo Premiere and a Tivo Premiere XL. These units have lifetime as well, so I won't discuss subscription cost except to say that I think lifetime is always a good investment even if you end up Ebaying them.

Having used all three units, definitely no reason to get a Prem XL over the Prem, especially if you plan to replace your HDD or use an extender. Sure, the THX logo display on boot is kiiiinda cool... for about two seconds, but it sure isn't worth extra money! If I hadn't literally tripped over an amazing deal on a secondhand XL, I would not own one.

The HD vs. Premiere distinction is trickier. I have to say I'd choose the Premiere, and here's why:
    1) more likelihood of future support by Tivo
    2) better MRV streaming speeds - this is something that may be important to you, it sounds like -
    3) the HD menus ARE nice IMO when they're working okay
    4) did I mention more likelihood of future support? Tivo has a pretty good history of discontinuing updates/ support for non-current boxes, or refusing to bring new features to them (though there are exceptions and examples on both sides of this).

11. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    TiVo Premiere or TiVo HD, New or Used
    Know any current TiVo owners who could purchase and transfer ownership to you? If so you could get a Premiere with Lifetime for $470.
    If springing for lifetime is too much, then as jrtroo says go refurb for $99 + $12.95. Tivo might give you a deal on the sub if buying two.

Series3Sub, the only way the OTA experience can differ is signal strength or the receivers ability to pull in a weak signal. Some attention paid to everything up stream of the Tivo can rectify that for the channels that are failing, if any. I'm pulling in 25 OTA channels with my Premiere...

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Except for the single stream Cablecard limitation, which costs many users extra money every month.