Tivo Premiere Online Content

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hoffadg, Apr 27, 2011.

1. hoffadg

hoffadg New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    After my DirecTV bill went up $30 recently, I'm seriously considering "cutting the cord". I'm trying to decide between going with the Tivo Premiere or the Roku box. I can get a few channels with my OTA antenna, but most of what I watch will be streamed from the Internet. In terms of online content, what would I be missing out on if I go with Tivo over Roku?

I'm somewhat new to the idea of streaming TV. Bascially, I would like to be able to watch all of the cable and network TV shows I watch now. Is it a safe assumption that just about everything you can get through satellite/cable service is available as streamed content on Tivo?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I wouldn't say that's a safe assumption, at all. You won't be able to watch stuff served off the networks' own websites on a TiVo and even Hulu is still just a gleam in TiVo's eye, as far as I can tell. I've had no real problems with Netflix and Amazon VoD, though amazon's content isn't streaming and Netflix DVDs might actually arrive faster, but you're a season behind for network TV with those.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You didn't say what type of TV your have but I can tell you that allot of the free streaming content is significant lower quality than OTA HD. If you have a larger HD TV you may not be very happy.

I would also say that you should not expect to replace all or even most of new/premium content that is on cable/satellite. With good OTA reception it is easy to replace all the major network (ABC, CBS, CW, NBC, FOX, ION TV, My TV, & PBS) content but you said you had OTA issues so that maybe a problem.

If you can not do anything about your OTA reception I am not sure a TiVo is worth much to you. The Roku box is cheap I would get one and try it out before you did anything. If you can fix your OTA reception problem you might want both a Roku box and a TiVo anyways.

Of course the other alternative would be to get a good HTPC. But that is not a simple or cheap endeavor.

Good Luck,

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    First - I wouldn't count on Tivo actually releasing the Hulu client in any timeframe relevant to when you want to watch things. Sure, it could come out tomorrow, but Tivo's history is that they really do. not. update. anything. anymore.

Second - cord-cutting depends pretty heavily on OTA in my experience. OTA covers all those major networks and that's a LOT of the shows most people watch.

That brings me to my final point: it all depends on what you want to watch exactly. Sure, if you're willing to embrace less-than-legal sources, everything's available - but assuming that's out of the picture, you're going to have a real mishmash of sources out there, and oftentimes the rules change with different content providers / streaming providers on what's streamable when, and so on and so forth.

If you can get OTA running reliably, you've got a shot, depending on what you want to watch - if not, golly, unless you don't watch much TV I have to say it'd be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

Note: A new / more appropriate antenna may help with OTA - I'd highly recommend looking at your channel reception map at http://www.antennaweb.org and seeing what's out there with what type of antenna. If you post that information, we can point you in the right direction of what antenna/setup you might be successful running.

5. hoffadg

hoffadg New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks for all the fast replies.

I may have mislead people when I said "I can get a few channels OTA". I can receive all of the major networks OTA from my location, so I'm not too concerned with that. My major concern is that my wife watches lots of shows on Bravo, VH1, HGTV, etc, and I have a 3 year old who is addicted to Nick Jr. Once I "cut the cord" I want to know exactly what kind of impact it would be on them (since I will also feel the impact).

Thanks,
    Dan

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I'd say it will be difficult to get any of the shows on those networks online. Before you "cut the cord" so to speak, try to find the shows you watch on your computer. TiVo can currently just get stuff you record, Netflix on Demand, Blockbuster, and Amazon. Hulu is "coming soon" but TiVo doesn't have a good track record to say actually when.

Roku from what it looks like is similar (but it only does the streaming and no recording or watching live OTA TV at all). It has more internet "stations" but I didn't see any that you listed. But I don't own one of those so I can't help you too much with it. I'd suspect you won't get a live stream of the actual station and you'd be at the whim of the person who uploads the shows as to what you get and when.

Honestly, if you "need" any of the shows on the channels you listed other than OTA, you'll probably be very disappointed cuting the cord.

7. wuchun

wuchun New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Thx. I generally don't watch