Tivo Premiere + Network Attached Storage

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by brodie4416, Mar 10, 2011.

1. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006

Advertisements

I've seen similar threads in other parts of the forum but I do not believe there is one specifically relating to the Tivo Premiere:

I'm looking to buy network attached storage drive and was hoping to share the media on this drive with my TiVo Premiere. EDIT: Clarification - I will have video files on the NES and wish to playback on the TiVo.

Has anyone done this successfully? I know that the premiere can stream music from a networked PC but can it stream HD video from a network device?

I'm still in the market, if anyone has any suggestions. I'm looking for something with RAID capabilities, at least 4 bays, and can handle streaming HD video.

Thanks!

2. chashd

chashd New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I have done it, and it is AWESOME! There was a great thread a while ago explaining a fairly straightforward way to do it. You need to download pytivo to your pc. There are instructions how to make the Tivo see all your media on your pc.

You then rip your DVDs to your pc using third party software. Once this is finished, create folders to organize. Movies, cartoons, kids, etc...

To watch a movie, you select it from the folder and the Tivo begins to download its hard drive. If you have an Ethernet connection, the download is quick and you can begin to watch immediately. Once it is fully downloaded, it stays on your Tivo. To save space however, once I finish watching I delete it and just redownload it when I want to.

I know this is a brief explanation, but there are better threads explaining how to get it set up.

Needless to say, this is a fantastic way to store content!

3. chashd

chashd New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Also, I have only done this with standard DVDs. I don't see why this wouldn't work with HD files though, except for the larger storage. DVD movies look great on the TiVo, and I don't notice any loss in quality.

4. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
  5. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006

Advertisements

What NAS are you using? ReadyNAS by Netgear? That is the drive I was looking at. I was hoping to find a solution a bit cheaper though... Glad to hear that it IS possible. Makes me feel better about buying one.

6. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Currently the ReadyNAS by Netgear is the only one I know of that supports TiVo's Home Media Option (HMO) out of the box. So there is no PC needed. Other NASes can be hacked to run Galleon or pyTivo and they work well too. That is what I have done with a Buffalo Linkstation. There are other options that can also be reasonably easily updated to support your DVR, such as the Pogo Plug.

If you keep the PC on and are willing to use it as the server, then any NAS that the PC can access can be used to store the video and audio. If you go the PC route you have many choices of server software to use so check out the Home Media Features and TiVo ToGo forum for threads on the various options.

For dead simple setup and use with no need to add software to anything, the ReadyNAS is the way to go.

7. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Alright, thanks for the info. I am definitely looking for a PC-free solution. That is the main reason I bought the tivo in the first place. I use it mostly to watch Netflix which I wanted to do without my PC (laptop) having to be on and hooked up.

I'm looking at ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus.

How difficult is it to make another NAS run Galleon or pyTivo? I still want the drive to be read/writable via FTP or internet browser.

8. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    To hack a Buffalo NAS go to buffalo.nas-central.org and check out the various hacks there. It's a big site and my page is very out of date, but I know of a page for installing Galleon and I think another for pyTivo.

For more general links from there you can visit http://nas-central.org/ I haven't visited there for a while, so I am not sure how current it is.

9. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I recently picked up the smaller ReadyNAS Ultra 2. Allows any of the TIVO's in my house to pull my Videos, Music, and Photos from a central location.. The Ultra will download any TIVO recorded show marked as KUID (Keep Until I Delete). I only wish I could get the Tivo's to stream from the Ultra instead of having to transfer the videos before playing.

You are right about the price... these are a bit steep in comparison to competitive products.

10. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Well I'm willing to pay the price if it is going to last. I've heard horror stories about NAS that fail and result in complete data loss and the NAS not under warranty. I shall continue research.

Thanks

11. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Bear in mind that the ReadyNAS solution is a bit of a kludge. You have to mark your videos and KUID and the Ready Nas will copy them over automatically. Once there, they are served back to your tivo ala pytivo or tivo desktop - so in that regard it is nothing special. I bought this device in the hopes that it would meet my needs, and frankly it didn't - I disabled the netgear software, although maybe by now the bugs have been fixed. One nice thing about the ready nas - it is an open linux platform. I was able to get pytivo, ffmpeg, and tivodecode all working there, so now my pytivo server is running 24/7.

12. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The ReadyNAS was not able to transfer automatically? I had this image in my mind of the TiVo having a shortcut of some sort in Now Playing (similar to the netflix shortcut) that would send me to browse the hard drive, able to play any video in any format directly on the TiVo. Is this inaccurate?

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It will indeed have a shortcut in NPL. From there you can transfer any .TiVo file.

14. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    For files that aren't .Tivo, you can set a folder to "Auto Transfer" to the Tivo in Tivo Desktop, this preserves the sub folder name. This could be a folder you have mapped on your desktop to the NAS. Also, you can tell Tivo Desktop to auto transfer a show off the tivo to the computer, again you can set this to a folder that is mapped from the NAS. This does mean you will be using CPU and network bandwidth on the computer.

15. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Is your unit older? The newer ones don't need TiVo Desktop at all, they can serve back to the DVR directly.

16. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I didn't say they needed tivo desktop - I meant that they serve videos to tivo just like tivo desktop or pytivo - nothing special there.

My point was that the selling feature of the readynas was its ability to copy programs from the tivo automatically - getting videos back to the tivo was nothing revolutionary.

I found the main selling feature so inadequate that I disabled it. Don't get me wrong - I live my readynas - because of its openness, I was able to develop my own solution that works quite well for me.

17. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Thanks for clarifying, it sure sounded like you were saying it needed TiVo Desktop or PyTivo to work.

Yes, these open NAS boxes are nice. Did you post a howto so others can duplicate your accomplishment? That's what the NAS-Central Wiki's are for. If so, you could post a link here for others to find and copy what you did. My next NAS is likely to be a ReadyNAS so I would love to duplicate your setup if it is enough better.

18. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I'll have to dig through my notes to see if I can find the history of what I did. I've replaced my PC since I did it, and might have lost some history.

Getting pytivo itself to work was no big deal - python is fairly portable. The difficulty was getting ffmpeg and tivodecode/tdcat working. There was a version of ffmpeg that was available from the package manager, but it was too old. I had to download the source from the official site and build it. Of course this meant that I had to install packages for development and a bunch of libraries. Everytime I entered apt-get, I was cringing - thinking that I was destroying my NAS, but everything worked out OK, and I couldn't be happier with the end result.

19. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    I know that feeling well.

I never did get FFMPEG and TiVo Decode working on my linky, but it was probably 18 months or more ago when I tried. Things might be better now, I guess I should give it a new run.

20. brodie4416

brodie4416 New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Just want to confirm I have simplified this correctly: It is possible to have the 'same' connectivity between the TiVo Premiere and the NAS with the ReadyNAS as well as any other NAS, but the ReadyNAS is the only one that is ready to work with TiVo right out of the box?

And when I say "connectivity between TiVo and NAS" I mean the TiVo can store recordings on the NAS and can stream/copy-to-HDD any video files (MPEG and other codecs) stored on the NAS for instant playing on the TV.

I am not familiar with pyTiVo or anything like that so would it be worth my money to just get the ReadyNAS? I'm looking at the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus because it has the duo processor, which I figure will be worth it since I intend to copy/stream HD video files.