TiVo Premiere lost TSN after hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bigk96, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX

Advertisements

I have a TiVo premiere I've owned for about a year and half then the hard drive died. TiVo was stuck at powering up and I confirm the drive was dead with the WD diag util. I bought a new WD 2TB DVR drive from Amazon to replace the dead drive. I download the current MFS software but I noticed there is no software image for the premieres, I own another premiere and I copied that hard drive to the new 2TB drive, expanded it and I put the new drive in the TiVo that had the bad hard drive.

I boot TiVo now with a 2TB drive up and first I get a M51 error. The error suggests I reboot to fix the problem which I did and it reboots fine, video works I can see old shows that have been recorded but when I go in the system info screen the TSN shows up as all 0's and it will no longer record shows. The software version is the latest version 20.

I assuming I can't just copy the hard drive from another TiVo like you could with older hardware. I've do a lot of searches and I find plenty of docs on upgrading to a new hard drive using an already working original drive. Anyone have any suggestions? Is my other option to buy a drive that already has a software image on it?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Assuming the first 3 Digits of the two DVR's TSN's are/were the same. You need to run Clear And Delete Everything to match the drive to the new TiVo.

3. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Guess I was hoping to avoid that process because I'm lazy LOL.

The first 3 digits of the TSN are the same on both TiVos.

I'll get that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
  5. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX

Advertisements

I did a clear and delete and that fixed my problem. Thanks everyone for your help.