Tivo Premiere locks up after 14.8

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bdspilot, May 30, 2011.

1. May 30, 2011 #1 of 167
    bdspilot

bdspilot Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Both of my Tivo Premieres have locked up since the 14.8 update last week. Both tivos got stuck on the Tivo Central menu with My Shows highlighted.

So I have two questions, does any one else have this problem?? and can you fix it without a pull-the-plug reset?

2. May 30, 2011 #2 of 167
    caryrae73

caryrae73 New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
  3. May 30, 2011 #3 of 167
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Read this: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8544079#post8544079

If that describes the problem, then there is already a long-standing thread. If it does not, then you have something new

4. May 30, 2011 #4 of 167
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    that happened to me the other day for the first time. Never had this before 14.8.

It's only happend once though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed

5. May 30, 2011 #5 of 167
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Yes, the remote lockup seems to be hitting more people after 14.8 including those who've never seen the problem before (myself included).

The other thread is useful because it has the most information on the problem, but this one ought to be handy too to point them in the right direction, as there are going to be a lot of people who just got 14.8, have never seen the problem before in a year of ownership, and don't know they're experiencing a known bug. (I guess this makes it an "unknown known")

6. May 30, 2011 #6 of 167
    trp_Madison

trp_Madison New Member

May 30, 2011
    OK, I occasionally have had lockups on one box (once every 4-6 months on average). 2 boxes are on Sony Stereo \ Video Amp never locked up before during the last 1 to 2 years. 4th box is only 2 weeks old, so not sure the status of that box.

Since the upgrade to 14.8 I have had all 4 boxes have locked up. The software was installed on May 25th, the release is version 14.8-01-3-746

2 boxes are at one home, the other 2 at another, eliminating the issue being the cable or broadband connection as they are in 2 different cities.

Hope they send out a fix soon.

7. May 31, 2011 #7 of 167
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Just as a data point my 4 TPs now all have 14.8 and none, so far, has had any lockups or any other problems, I do use the SDUI on the four TiVos as my family finds the HDUI to confusing and not needed to quickly get to a program that they want to watch.
    They did change the color of the folders so now when using MRV xfer into a folder you can hardly see the MRV circle telling you a xfer is taking place.

8. May 31, 2011 #8 of 167
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Just today I found my newly updated 14.8 tivo not responsive to the remote. I normally leave it in live TV, but last night I happened to leave it in the top tivo menu screen, and that is where it was this morning still, only it wasn't talking. I power cycled it, ate breakfast, took a shower, got a medical degree, and before you know it, it had rebooted and was back to normal.

9. May 31, 2011 #9 of 167
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Count me in as a user who had not previously had the unresponsive remote control problem until yesterday and I am running 14.8 with the HD interface. Mine was stuck at TiVo Central with the PIP playing fine with no way to resolve the issue, mine was recording one show while this was occurring also. Totally bummed, I would commit to the SD interface for the speed and stability, but the abhorrent Swivel search drives me crazy to use and I can't search Netflix, Amazon without it all at once I have to go into each individual app and Netflix doesn't allow search unless you use the HD interface. Definitely not TiVo "My Way"

10. May 31, 2011 #10 of 167
    Noodles168

Noodles168 New Member

May 25, 2011
    NE PA
    I recd and installed , my TiVo May 17th. Running 14.7 I experienced the dreaded lockup but it always after a little time come out of it. The unit upgraded to 14.8 last Tuesday. This morning 5/31/11 it locked up solid on the HD TiVo Central menu "My Shows" which is interesting in that is not where I was when I shut down last night. I pulled the plug to reboot TiVo. Called TiVo Support who directed me to use the SD menu. Said also that they have been inundated with complaints since 14.8 was installed and that there would be a 14.8. ?? to fix the problem. I explained that I had experienced the problem with 14.7 too. Got no interested response to that info.

11. May 31, 2011 #11 of 167
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    same here

12. May 31, 2011 #12 of 167
    bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    Woke up this morning to the same issue on 14.8.

My kids came in and said the remote isn't working. I knew immediately what it was. The TiVo was stuck at the TiVo Central screen with the current channel playing just fine inthe PiP window.

Pulled the plug and it came back up just fine.

I didn't ever have this problem (that I can remember) on the previous version (14.7).

13. May 31, 2011 #13 of 167
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I started to call Tivo this morning but while on hold realized I wasn't going to be able to get through the call without possibly being, to put it mildly, arrogant with whomever answered the phone so I hung up. I'm just sick of all this money I spent for these lemons. I know they're not likely to fix jack based on past experience so why was I wasting my time? They'll probably ask me to loop the cable around my house 3 times and do a rain dance and if that doesn't work to call them back after doing an all night diagnostic test.

So, here we are with yet another lockup problem. The 14.8 HDUI hard freeze is different from the previous SDUI (and sometime HDUI) remote stops responding problem. The question now is to switch back to the SDUI yet again and tolerate the occasional remote lockup a few times per week or stick to the HDUI and deal with the new hard freeze about every 48 hours that can only be fixed with a reboot? I have two Premiere so I'll put one on SDUI and the other on HDUI and see which one irritates me less. Only question for the group. . . Has anyone on the SDUI seen the new hard freeze introduced with 14.8 or are they still just getting the regular old 10 minute stops responding problems we've been getting since day one?

14. May 31, 2011 #14 of 167
    Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Add me to the list of first-time sufferers of the remote freeze in the HD Tivo Central screen. I see the front-panel light blink when I press the remote but nothing happens.

15. May 31, 2011 #15 of 167
    igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    Another freeze here - apparently it happened while recording as the red light was also on. Unplugged and it rebooted fine.

This happened once before as well a few weeks ago. No idea as to the cause or solution to eradicate such lockups. Unplug and move on.

16. May 31, 2011 #16 of 167
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Same thing here. Interesting though was the Tivo seemed to be working fine, meaning it recorded what it was supposed to. However the screen was just stuck on Tivo Central.

Anyone else see this?

Edit:
    BTW I waited over 12 hours before unplugging the unit and it never came back.

17. May 31, 2011 #17 of 167
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've had both varieties using SDUI with 14.8... In a couple of cases I waited 20+ minutes and it never came back so had to unplug to recover. In another couple of cases it actually recovered in about 12 minutes or less on its own. Before 14.8 most often if I did wait without pressing buttons it would come back, now with 14.8 unless you are recording something it's probably best to just reboot the darn thing instead of playing the waiting game. Wish there was a darn reset button at least instead of having to reach behind the unit and unplug it and with more difficulty then re-attach the power cord.

If this continues much longer I may have to consider just using a timer and have the thing reboot on a schedule perhaps once a day. Problem is then I have to enter the S-P-S codes I like again every time so that's not going to cut it...

18. May 31, 2011 #18 of 167
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    They sell these remote control power switch things on Amazon. Since I have a trial of Prime and a reward card I may as well get 2 of them. I just hope they don't conflict with each other (up vs. downstairs Tivo).

19. May 31, 2011 #19 of 167
    mbates73

mbates73 Hug Your TiVo 2Day

Nov 4, 2010
    Alpharetta, GA
    +1 To me on the lockup a few times the past 5 days. Both of my premiers have 14.8 and never saw this issue prior to update: Turn on TV after prolonged idle and its in the top level Tivo menu showing live TV in the preview window. Remote unresponsive and requires a hard reboot.

I also had it spontaniously reboot while watching a recorded show the other day - not sure if its related but never has happened prior to the upgrade.

First issue I have ever had with the Tivo - its been rock solid since this.

20. May 31, 2011 #20 of 167
    JPShinn

JPShinn New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Same problem here...