Tivo Premiere Lasted Four Months

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by NWMAN, Nov 29, 2011.

1. NWMAN

NWMAN New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    My Four Month Old Tivo Premiere Is Now Not Working And I Had To Replace It, At The Suggestion Of The Tivo Technical Help People. My Old Series Tivo Lasted For Years. The New Premiere Seems To Be A Waste Of Money. The Replacement Is 49 Bucks And The Old One Has To Be Returned. They Probably Fix The Old One And Sell It As Reconditioned So They Still Make Money From The Dummy (me) Who Bought The Lemon. Not A Nice Way To Treat A Customer. I Am Not Referring Friends Or People On The Web To Purchase The New Tivo.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What do you mean it is not a nice way to treat a customer? Not many manufacturers would give you that type of discount for a out of warranty piece of hardware.

3. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Yet it says something about a product if a company will only guarantee it to remain without fault for 90 days.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It says that they offer the same warranty that the vast majority of companies offer - 90 days parts and labor, 1 year parts.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Every piece of electronics ever made has a certain percentage of devices that will have a premature death, whether it's an external cause of the failure or an internal failure. Unfortunately you got one of those TiVos. No device is immune from this. Fortunately the vast majority of electronic devices, including TiVos, do not have issues. Personally I've had my Premieres since launch and they have been without issue.

6. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    What A Bummer, Did You Maybe Wear Out The Shift Key As Well?

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    $50 to fix, sign me up.

What was wrong anyhow (or are you a one-and-done poster)? If anyone could have walked you though a problem, it is the experts on this board.

Most issues are hard disk related, so $50 seems pretty low to me, especially these days.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    First if you paid $500 or $600 for a new Premiere with lifetime services then the $49 is a great deal.

If you decided to pay for service monthly then more info is needed to make a determination. The question is will TiVo let you out of your 1 year contract or not? If not then $49 is again a good deal. However if TiVo will let you out of your contract then the $49 is not as good of a deal and you might be better off getting a new unit and starting over.

Also if the issue appears to be a hard drive you have the further option of fixing the unit yourself. Unfortunately the cost of hard drives has gone way up, but you can still buy an upgrade with the software installed.

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

LOL I Know Right???? Who Does This.?

10. contsole

contsole New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Tivo sells a 3 year warranty for the Premiere for just $39.99
    That's a pretty good bargain.

11. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    WELL AT LEAST IT WASN'T ALL CAPS.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No One Does This, I'm Pretty Sure. What happens is that the message actually is typed in all caps, and it gets autoconverted to what Python would call "title"-style casing. By the board? Not sure, let's test...

13. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    This Was Typed In All Caps.

14. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, there you go then.

15. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    ah hah. That's why! I've seen that before and thought it was the author that did that. That's a great feature for the board, I hate when people type in all caps.

16. RDK

RDK Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I wonder why this post didn't get converted?

17. wmelnick

wmelnick New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    FWIW: You get to keep your old remote and they ship you a new one. Not worth $49, but it is nice to have an extra remote.

18. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Because it contained some lowercase (in the quote). You have to have ONLY uppercase in the post to get the title-case effect. (Uh... I think.)

19. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Mine lasted 10 months, had to replace it this past thursday

Tivo would exchange the defective unit if I paid another 50 bucks

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    $50 is actually a real good deal for lifetime units since they move lifetime to the exchanged box. If you are on month to month, I would probably just get a new one if your contract is up. Especially since you probably will get a refurb from Tivo.