Tivo Premiere keep until dates

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tyrocker, Apr 11, 2011.

1. tyrocker

tyrocker New Member

May 14, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Anyone else hate the fact that you can't see the date and time a program will be deleted on the Premiere? I have 2 other Tivos and I can always tell exactly when a program will be deleted, but on the Premiere, it just has an exclamation mark or nothing. Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is extremely lame.

2. casperc65

casperc65 New Member

Oct 2, 2010
    If you click the more options button it tells you exactly when it will be deleted

3. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    But is that accurate? I thought that just indicated when it would first be eligible for deletion (as space is needed).

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Where exactly do you find this information? I've never seen an exact date listed for a particular shows deletion on an older Tivo.

No mark means show is safe, yellow circle with exclamation point means show is eligible for deletion. Green circle for KUID.
    You can go to 'keep until...' and change the 'keep through' date, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the show will be deleted on that date, just that it is eligible for deletion again.
    On older Tivos, More Options does not list when a show will be deleted.

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I never really concerned myself with it.

6. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I have had 6 different tivos over the years and I have never had a tivo delete a show on me - even though the "delete" dates have long since passed. The delete date only indicates when a show will first be eligible for deletion. It will not actually be deleted until the space is needed for a recording.

7. tyrocker

tyrocker New Member

May 14, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Actually if you go inside the show info, you do see that it will be kept until such date and time.
    You can even save other shows longer and it will change the date and time of other shows and it will ALWAYS show you when a show will be deleted.

Thanks for this enlightening information. I think just about everyone can figure that much out. But older Tivos DO INDEED show when it will be deleted, at least all of my series 2 have shown it.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    TiVos (whether old, young or middle-aged) do not show when a show will be deleted. They show when a show is eligible to be deleted based on space requirements for new user-scheduled recordings.

9. tyrocker

tyrocker New Member

May 14, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Yes, but at least the old ones do have a DATE and TIME when a program is eligible to be deleted. The magnificent premiere won't tell me at all when a program is eligible to be deleted, just a yellow circle, an exclamation mark or nothing. I for one, have no clue which exclamation marked show is going to be deleted first and that is a big defect the premiere has.

10. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Change the Now Playing list to sort by name and not use folders.

Unless you've made changes in the "keep until" date you'll find the first to be deleted should be the oldest in the list.

11. nooneuknow

nooneuknow not quite dead yet

Feb 5, 2011
    I stumbled across this "issue" just recently, much like I just stumbled across this thread.

On my TiVo HDs, it's like others say, the shows with a "!" will remain much beyond the date that they are originally assigned (by the TiVo) to be eligible for deletion, as long as you manually delete enough shows to eliminate them from needing to be deleted for space for new recordings. I've never much cared for the HD's way of "!" flagging recordings just because they have been there for a long time, as opposed to the Premiere's way of doing it.

On my Premieres, so long as I don't exceed 85% of storage capacity, no shows get assigned an expiration-eligible date / "!". I'm sure that my ~85% ceiling is based on a calculation of disk space, upcoming recordings and Season Passes, so your % / "!" point will likely vary.

On the Premieres, when the "!" appears, there is a way to see what it indicates. I can't recall exactly how you get there, but once you are, it will say ~"WILL BE DELETED WITHIN XX HOURS" or ~"X DAYS". I'm not currently showing any "!" flagged shows, so I can't document the steps to get to the aforementioned info. I think it may be on the screen that you can get while viewing the show details, and then press the "info" button.

One buggy thing in this, is that the details screen doesn't always say "press info for more", while you actually always can press "info" and get the full details (which I believe includes the full meaning of what the "!" flag indicates, down at the very bottom).

Since the phrase "WILL BE DELETED" is rather ominous, I haven't verified that the stated date and time will be the actual point of deletion. I just wipe out a few recordings that I neglected to delete after watching or movies that I figure I'll never actually watch, reboot the TiVo Premiere, and will find that the "!" indicators are gone. Apparently, from my experience, a reboot is the only way to clear the "!" flags once they appear.

It's my GUESS, that the Premiere won't actually delete things any differently than the older HD. I just think TiVo decided that if they make the warning more ominous, that people will be more vigilant in flagging their recordings as "Keep until I delete", if that's what they truly want.

As suggested earlier, it's a good idea to turn off grouping, turn on sort by date recorded, and look at the oldest recordings to see if they have been flagged. If not, just turn your grouping and sort-by preferences back on. It only takes a few seconds.