TiVo Premiere from Greenlight

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bricketh, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1 of 16
    bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I received my new TiVo Premiere rental unit from my local provider today. My provider is a city-owned/operated FTTH service called Greenlight.

When I ordered it, I specifically asked about any limitations with the unit, as I was replacing my S3 in the living room, and wanted the same capabilities. I was told it was a fully featured unit just like it would be retail, and that they come straight out of the box with no features stripped out. I specifically asked about Netflix, but was told it was available (I read that SuddenLink and RCN units didn't have Netflix available, but those are CableCo branded units, unlike this one).

Anyway, I got my unit today, and Netflix was not available. I called Greenlight, and they said it should be there, and recommended I call TiVo. TiVo informed me that this was obtained through an aggregate 3rd party called Evolution, and Evolution apparently strips the Netflix app out. It isn't the only reason for my rental of the unit, by any means, but I am frustrated by the missing feature that I specifically asked about when ordering. Anyway, I have other options for streaming Netflix, but I don't like the thought of losing functionality that I previously had. I am going to be following up with Greenlight tomorrow to see what options I have, but am not expecting much.

As for the unit itself, it isn't bad, but I already found myself dropping the HDUI due to the List button I created in my Harmony using the sequence of TiVo+TiVo was occurring too close together to register the second TiVo button command. I have used this List command setup for all of my other TiVos since I got the Harmony remotes several years back without issue, but the HDUI is too slow to allow it to work. The SD interface works fine with it. I know it is petty, but I miss that List button since my Sony Series 1 unit that I got years ago.

Well, I guess I can go on about general Premiere functions/features in the appropriate threads.

2. Jul 6, 2011 #2 of 16
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I believe you also won't have streaming (if you get another premiere) or downloading capabilities either.

BTW, is your S3 still working? I have a dead S3 and would like another S3 for parts.

3. Jul 6, 2011 #3 of 16
    bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I probably won't be getting another Premiere, but did fail to stream from the S3 when I tested earlier (not remembering at the time if streaming from an S 3 had been tested successfully). It obviously failed, which sucked.

Greenlight may end up getting the Preview boxes if they aren't exclusive to specific providers when they hit the market.

As for the S3, I am not getting rid of it, just moved it to my kid's room to replace her S2 (which was moved to my other kid's room).

4. Jul 6, 2011 #4 of 16
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Why not just reprogram the list function? Can't you add a delay or there might be a better shortcut command to go to my shows.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #5 of 16
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have premiere and s3. I use harmony one remote to control the s3 premiere amp and lights. I have list listed in the activity section under customize buttons. I have it set up on my touch screen.

6. Jul 6, 2011 #6 of 16
    wbertram

wbertram Member

Jun 14, 2002
    It's not a question of the delay in your Harmony "List" command. The TiVo+TiVo sequence does not work at all when in the HDUI. This has previously been discussed in these forums.

7. Jul 6, 2011 #7 of 16
    bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    But does it just not work due to the delay in loading
    the screen, or has the feature been removed as of the Premiere (somewhat rhetorical, as I can do a search of the boards if it has been previously discussed)?

As to caddyroger's comment, the function on my Harmony One worked fine, and never had issues. Don't think there is a delay function, but it's not bu so hard to press two buttons instead of one. I just never understood why they dropped it (or was it only ever Sony's S1 that had it?).

8. Jul 7, 2011 #8 of 16
    bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I guess it is a licensing/legal issue with Netflix being offered by MSOs.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=202097&site=lr_cable

Oddly, I cannot get the iPad working with it either, even though I have network remote enabled and can see the DVR in the list on the app. I renamed the TiVo around 1:30 PM ET, but the iPad app shows both the old name and new name (with the old name being the only one I can select, and the new name being grated out). I have heard the iPad app is flakey, so maybe that is it.... I checked Evolution's site, and they seem to promote the iPad app functions, so not sure why that would be blocked...

Maybe I just need to wait a day to ensure that the unit has gone through it's paces (even though I have reconnected to the TiVo service twice already, including one update/reboot). Not a major deal, but if anyone has a tip or thought as to whether this is due to the Evolution Digital box, please share....

9. Jul 7, 2011 #9 of 16
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    More info on the Evolutional Digital solution can be found here --> http://www.evolutionbb.com/ebb/Evolution-TiVo-Solution/page487.html

My guess is they'll continue to stay somewhat in-sync with the retail product so I would expect the ED product will eventually support streaming to the Preview, Best Buy Insignia TV's when released, and other TiVo-support DVR-less products.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The list button works fine from the HDUI. I had not tried it in a while. Initially when I pressed the list button from my Harmony remote, it would show the Now Playing List, which is the show list from the SDUI.

But now when I press the list button on my Harmony remote, it goes to the My Shows list. Which is the show list in the HDUI.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I had the same problem when changing the name on My TiVo as well. Take a look at this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462428

Streaming does not work from S3 to Premier - only Premier to Premier, but I would think your iPAD app should work just fine. The app had some bugs when it first came out, but I have found it to be rock solid since the updates.

12. bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I called Greenlight support this morning, and spoke to the manager. She was very nice and apologetic about the missing Netflix, and stated to me that it was a known missing feature (apparently just not clear to everyone taking orders, as they only have 5 units out in the field at this time). She said that they initially had an agreement wherein Netflix was to be included, but that something happened at the last minute and they couldn't get it. She did say they are still working on it, and trying to get some sort of agreement in place to be able to offer it, so it's not completely lost hope at this point.

As for the iPad app, thanks for the link (haven't had a chance to review yet, but I will today). I spoke to their tech support staff about that, too, and the Greenlight tech stated he had a iPad, and had just downloaded the app to test it out and see if he has any issues. I explained what I did (including the device rename), so he would have all of the facts. He is going to test and get back to me later today. He said if it didn't work, he would check with Evolution Digital to see if they have that blocked for some reason, but it's likely just due to something on the back-end when I renamed it. The units still don't show up with the new names across the network (MRV between 2 S2s, 1 S3 and 1 S4) ven though all were renamed early afternoon yesterday, and successfully connected a few hours later to the TiVo service. It's been a while since I renamed a TiVo, so not sure how long it takes to take effect, but it is likely that is the reason... Anyway, I will keep playing around and digging for a solution until one presents itself (maybe in the aforementioned link).

Thanks all! I will post if I get more info.

EDIT: I checked the thread... I guess all I missed was the reboot of the other units. As for the Premiere, I did reboot it, but maybe I didn't give it enough time to finish being added to my account and renaming it. I will reboot again tonight to see if that gets over this hurdle. Thanks for the help!

EDIT 2: I spoke to Greenlight support, and they were able to get the iPad app to work with their Evolution-provided Premiere, so it has to be just because of the reboot/rename thing.

13. ncbill

ncbill Active Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    So does this save enough $ vs. retail Tivo to make up for losing Netflix?

14. bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Since I had a S3, it does. I turned in one of my cable cards on the S3, so the net difference in my bill will be about $5 per month. Is it worth losing Netflix? I can't say that, but I can say that $5 per month more for another TiVo with nothing out of pocket isn't bad. I still miss my Netflix, and am a tad frustrated by the loss of it. I have other options for Netflix, worst case. Greenlight charges $12.95 for the TiVo per month, which includes cable card and all. A second box would be $20.

On a positive note, rebooting the TiVo fixed my iPad app issues, so that is working now.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So you've made your S3 single tuner? A S3 with one cable card can record only ONE thing at once, regardless of source.

(BTW, I wonder if the manager was BSing you about netflix.. Others have posted about some sort of cable company 'requirement' that they not allow video from other sources, e.g. netflix.)

16. bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Yes, my S3 is now single tuner only, as it is in my daughter's room, and she only really watches Disney and Nick... Never had an issue with 1 tuner for her before, but I have 3 other TiVos, with one being the S4 with dual tuner, so no big loss...

As for Netflix, I considered that, but Cox reportedly has gotten around the whole issue with Netflix, and is offering it. According to the article I posted earlier in this thread, it seems like it is more Netflix' issue that it is not offered on rental units, due to lack of agreements with content providers. Mine being a municipal-owned provider, maybe they have more flexibility than the RCNs and Suddenlinks of the world to offer what they want without headaches. We'll see if it comes out. Since they have Blockbuster and Amazon (downloads, not streaming, so maybe that is not a good example), I could see them eventually coming to terms to add Netflix one day.