TiVo Premiere Elite Constant Restart Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by VideoDog, Jan 9, 2012.

1. VideoDog

VideoDog New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    My TiVo Premiere Elite has recently started locking up and restarting constantly.

It has been been like this for the last few days. It restarts many times in a row without fully booting up. I've had it since Early November and there have been a few times where it has been sluggish and has restarted but nothing like this.

I called TiVo and they will RMA my unit and send another one out (which will be a repaired or renewed unit, btw). They seemed surprised that an Elite was failing like this. I am wondering how often this happened to people on the Elite?

My unit is stock and has a tuning adapter and M-Card from TWC. Also, it did not yet get the new software that is being sent out to Premiere units.

A few things that annoy me is that they require you to put another full MSRP $499 (plus tax) as a refundable deposit even though they are sending me only the TiVo and none of the cable, manuals, remote.

Another option offered to me is that they will ship a replacement when they receive my unit which would mean I'd be without for 2 weeks or so.

Also, I'll loose my setup and all my shows and season passes because they are going to immediately deactivate my current unit so I can't even download them to my computer with TiVo Desktop. Thanks TiVo!

Another problem when RMAing my TiVo Elite is that my warranty period is tied to the original machine. So now I'll only have few weeks left on the 90 day warranty when I get the replacement unit. Wow, thanks again TiVo. Spending $500 has never felt soooo good.

Hope the next unit is going to last longer than 10 weeks.

2. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The M-Card might be bad. Also disconnect the internet to see if this solves the problem. And if you have the bluetooth remote remove that. And if you have Tivo desktop software close that on all your PC's. Go a few days to see if you still have problems.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You should download your shows now -- or should have -- if it ever actually boots all the way up... then replace it.

4. VideoDog

VideoDog New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I never used TiVo Desktop or Bluetooth. By the way it is a wired ethernet connection in case it is relevant. I have tried the TiVo without ethernet, and without the USB cable going to the Tuning Adapter without any resolution. Well, I couldn't wait to order a replacement until I downloaded the shows...heck it might never even boot long enough to get my shows off it.

I guess I'll try the current M-Card with the new unit when it gets here and see if it works. The TiVo customer support never even mentioned a potential problem with the M-Card.

Thanks again.

5. VideoDog

VideoDog New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Here's an update:

With the M-Card inserted into my TiVo Elite it gets into a constant cycle of restarts and occasionally it will boot fully but only stays running for a few minutes.
    Without the M-Card it seemed to boot up and stay running for a while but I only tested it once and only for 30 mins.

Are there known issues with M-Cards? This is weird since it was working pretty good with the same setup for weeks. My M-Card is a Scientific Atlantic Multi-Stream card 07/28/2007 HW 1.2 "F". That seems pretty old. Does anyone think the card is to blame? The new Elite should be here tomorrow and will try the card in it.

6. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Yes M Cards can cause problems. I would exchange the M card and see what happens.

You have to re pair the card if you use the new box anyways. So it would be better to get another card and try the old box first.