TiVo Premiere Elite annouced!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Philmatic, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1 of 82
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Features:
    • 4 tuners enable you to record up to 4 shows at once
    • 2 terabytes of recording capacity provides up to 300 hours of HD programming
    • Easy access to broadband entertainment providers like Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus, BLOCKBUSTER®, Amazon and YouTube™
    • Streams music and photos from any home network and the web
    • World's only THX® Certified DVR for optimal sound and video fidelity
    • Free TiVo App for iPad® and iPhone® provides a richer TV experience
    • Supports HDMI compliant splitters with up to 16 HDMI ports
    • MoCA® support (including MoCA bridge)

Price: $499 + service (Lifetime available for $499)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/tivo-premiere-elite-will-bring-quad-tuners-2tb-storage-to-retai/
    http://www.tivo.com/elite

For $499 + service, I'm definitely in. Hopefully I can get a break on the cost of lifetime to make it worth it.

2. Sep 7, 2011 #2 of 82
    uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Any news on monthly or annual pricing plans?

3. Sep 7, 2011 #3 of 82
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Odd that there is no mention of "extender" boxes for additional TVs or any potential packaging as such.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #4 of 82
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I might be tempted, but apparently the Elite doesn't do OTA. I find that puzzling, since most of TiVo's intractable problems seem to involve cable cards and tuning adapters. I use my Premiere for OTA-only recording, and I've had very few problems. Why would they pass up the low-hanging fruit, especially when OTA-only viewership is on the rise?

5. Sep 7, 2011 #5 of 82
    tinkererguy

tinkererguy Member

May 13, 2002
    CT
    Is it faster with HD menus than the current Premiere? Does it have HD menus throughout? Those are the first questions that came to mind for me...

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6 of 82
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The Elite is the retail version of the Q, which is sold to MSOs (cable companies), who will lease them to customers. The hardware is (presumably) identical, with a minor software change.

An OTA only version with 4 tuners would have a much smaller potential customer base. I suspect TiVo feels that a regular Premiere is fine for the OTA market, especially with the $10 service discount.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #7 of 82
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Service plans are the same as the other Premiere models, according to the pop up on the Elite page.

8. Sep 7, 2011 #8 of 82
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Same as any new premiere offering, so no annual. Your only options are $19.95/monthly and $499/lifetime. Lifetime (Even at the retail $500 cost) is the best deal, that's just over 2 years of monthly subscriptions.

9. Sep 7, 2011 #9 of 82
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

thanks for the tibbit a info, even the CS at Tivo aren't aware of this newer model.... Can't wait for it to become avail

10. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The OTA-only customer base is smaller, but it is growing. And unless TiVo is now using some new quad-tuner chip that can't handle ATSC, the cost of including OTA capability should be nearly zero. I think I smell cable company pressure at work here. I hope TiVo will eventually enable OTA reception in the Elite.

12. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    As others said it is pretty much identical to the Premiere. It does include MoCA though so it could possibly have a newer Broadcom chip though the Q uses a separate chip. They could potentially have also gone with a slightly more powerful and newer Broadcom chip just to insure no difficulties with 4 tuners, streaming and MRV at the same time.

Do they make tuner chips with 2 OTA and 2 Clearqam on the same chip? I know this was the limitation before and TiVo has always used a two chip design. As a result this is probably 2 Chips with 2 Clearqam each rather than the 2 chips with 1 clearqam/1 OTA per chip. The Elite most likely doesn't even have OTA tuners so there won't be a way to enable it. If it was there they would include it since it means more potential customers.

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Not possible (without new hardware) - unlike the other Premiere models, there is no antenna input on the Elite.

14. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I almost could be pissed as I just got a Premiere unit that I started up last week. But then I got to thinking. Do I seriously need to ever record 4 shows at once? With the number of rebroadcasts on cable stations of shows, If you miss the first showing, there will most likely be a second showing of it within 12-24 hours.

I would say it's a nice to have... at a $400 premium.. too much.

15. ncbill

ncbill Active Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    Yes, could you please change the description to indicate DIGITAL CABLE ONLY.

Not only no OTA, but no analog cable tuner.

Can only tune clear QAM or encrypted using a CableCard.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  17. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This is, for all intents and purposes, the same Premiere... it just happens to have 4 QAM tuners, MoCA support, and a 2TB HDD, and removes OTA and analog. The MoCA chips are supplied by a different provider, so no beefier CPU either. It may have additional RAM to handle those 2 extra simultaneous feeds, though. But I don't know this.

For OTA users, I can totally understand what they're feeling. We all felt it when Tivo announced the Q and Preview but not retail products. But the discounted OTA service is also a somewhat attractive option. I wouldn't consider it pressure from cable. It's more like simple economies of scale, and frankly, it's a desirable product for all cable users regardless of the drawbacks.

18. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It does look nice, but I'll stay with the six boxes I have. I use analog cable (to avoid TWC's CCI policy), OTA, and digital cable. Four have LT, and the others are $6.95/mo. I don't see anything in the Elite to compell another investment.

19. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, I think it's for marketing clarity. Fios doesn't consider itself traditional cable... or at least they brand themselves differently due to their FTTP network. Even though the signal is converted to QAM once it reaches the home.

20. tinkererguy

tinkererguy Member

May 13, 2002
    CT
    As far as speeds and feeds, I realize it wouldn't be expected for them to market that. I guess we'll have to wait for somebody to break one open, and have a look at the actual chips onboard. But more telling will be side by side HDUI performance tests, Premiere versus Premiere Elite.

Meanwhile, here's the links for basic specs comparison:
    http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere-elite/premiere-elite-specs.html
    http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-specs.html