Tivo Premiere Boot Failures

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by smbaker, Jun 1, 2011.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Now that I'm experiencing remote control lockups approximately every other day that force me to reboot, I'm starting to hit a new problem, the boot failure.

The thing will just sit there at the "a few minutes more" screen. Last night this happened for about 30 minutes before I gave up on watching TV, rebooted it, and went to sleep. When I got up this morning, it was still on "a few minutes more". I kicked it over again, and it rebooted in about 10-15 minutes this morning.

Anyhow, it seems that this lifetime premiere now approximately 2 out of 3 times will get stuck booting.

Anyone else experience similar problems? It makes me worry the hard drive may be about ready to crap out or some other calamity is about to befall this trouble-prone box. I don't recall any other of my boxes having these boot problems, just the Premiere.

2. mandm1

mandm1 New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Iowa
    I've noticed that my both of my Premiere XLs have recently started to have problems while booting. They will both sit at the "a few minutes more" screen.

I found that removing the bluetooth adapter for the TiVo slide remote during the booting process solved the problems on both machines. However, you then have to repair the remote to the adapter afterwards, or the remote will just run in the normal IR mode.

You can also try removing the ethernet and coax cables while booting to see if this helps in your particular situation.

Hope this helps ...
    Mike

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Consider running the kickstart series described in this thread.