TiVo Premiere and Time Warner Cable - What do I need?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by krick, Jan 5, 2012.

1. krick

krick Member

Sep 5, 2003
    I need some advice.

Until recently, I was living in NJ with my two upgraded TiVo Series 1 units (w/lifetime subs), basic Comcast cable service, and my SD televisions. I needed to use a DTA on each unit because Comcast is full digital now.

A few days ago, I moved to Cary NC (near Raleigh). I purchased a 55" LCD TV for the living room and a smaller LCD for the bedroom. I'm considering upgrading to TiVo Premieres for higher resolution support and the multi-room capability.

Here's the problem. I haven't ordered any cable service from Time Warner yet because I don't know what I need. According to their pricing sheet, they offer several options...

Digital TV - 85.49/mo
    Digital TV (when bundled with internet) - $82.49/mo
    Broadcast TV w/ International Package - $33.99/mo (includes digital box)
    El Paquetazo - $41.95/mo (includes digital box)
    Analog Basic TV - $69.49/mo
    Analog Broadcast TV - $16.99-$20.99/mo

Looking at their channel lineup, I think I just want "Basic Cable" but I don't know how that lines up with their offerings above. I really don't want to pay $80+ a month for television and I'm wondering what other people are doing.

If I go with one of the Analog options, will it look crappy on my TV?

Does going Analog get around the copy-protection issues with multi-room viewing?

Can I get any HD content without paying for "Digital"?

Do I need CableCards for all options, or just the "Digital" options?

I don't want to drop $1000+ on two lifetime Premiere units until I'm sure that everything is going to work and meet my needs.

2. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I had similar options in Southern Calif. Time Warner. It's next to impossible to get them to commit any kind of offer in writing, beyond they're standard offers. I wound up with the Triple Play, $89.99. That included 200 channels, broadband at 15mps and telephone service with unlimited long distance etc...This price is good for a year but no contract. You can quit anytime. It also included one of their DVR's in the package. I ordered two cables ($2.50 each) and spent $1.99 a month to make my phone unlisted. They did the install for free. I also upped the Internet speed to 30mps download and 5mps upload for $20 a month more. That was well worth it. I love that speed! Using a MOCA network and I've got great Internet all around the house .. I'd go with a bundle for the year. Your big commitment is to Tivo Lifetime (or monthly) .. I love my Tivo and had no worries about the TIVO committment. But none of the players in this little drama were easy for me to deal with as I like clarity. None of them could send me an e-mail with pricing. Isn't that interesting? .. By the way, "yes" analog will not look good on your new flat screens.

Another option is to go with something like Ceton to replace the TIVO .. I'm going to be trying that myself. http://cetoncorp.com/

Search on "cutting the cord" .. This might be something worthwhile in your area. Not in mine since we get very little over-the-air ..

I have to say my Tivo Premiere units have performed. Very happy. Bought Lifetime on both of them. This pretty much marries me to cable for the next 4 or 5 years. Can't say I'm thrilled about that.

Do your due diligence. It will pay off.