TiVo Premiere and movie server

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by travisdaul, Apr 14, 2010.

1. travisdaul

travisdaul New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    anyone know if the new tivo premiere lets you play movies that are burned to a server/external hard drive?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Check out the Home Media and TiVo ToGo forum here for the many options that you have to do this.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    We gave up on that and just use an Egreat m34a on one TV and a Popcorn Hour C-200 on the other one. Plays native ISOs (and a ridiculous list of other formats).

The Egreat is about $130, and the C-200 will run about $350 (but also does BluRay). They both draw off the same media server in our setup.

4. rhoops

rhoops New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Sure does! I've got a lot of movies in DivX, .avi format on my HTPC.

Use TiVo Desktop and share them using that. Once you've enable the TiVo Desktop server it looks pretty much like another TiVo for multiroom viewing.

5. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    I use stream baby stream on my windows home server and love it! This was one of the many reasons I returned all of my moxi boxes. Nothing streams better than it.

Not sure if it works with .iso files though....haven't tried it yet.

6. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have not tried streambaby yet. I just move the movies back and forth from the home server to the TIVO I want. I use Pytivo, but Tivo to go works just fine.

I may want to download and try out streambaby this weekend. Hope it isn't too difficult to setup! :rolleyes:

7. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Thank you Jbdecker for mentioning Streambaby. I have installed Streambaby and it rocks!

I was using my PS3 for streaming and I really prefer Streambaby.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I tried streambaby this weekend and it worked pretty well, but I just do not think it is for me.

It only streams non .tivo files... I consolodate all of my saved movies into a series of genre folders on my WHS. These consist of a collection of .tivo and other file formats.

Since streambaby will not stream .tivo file formats it is a little limiting for me and just a hastle to go to multiple places to find the movie I (or the family) wants.

Great product though. You guys really put a lot of effort into these things. It is just too bad all these nice products have to be burried into the menu structure and not more seemlessly integrated.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Well if you dont want to seperate the .tivo files, then you can always use kmttg to create a compatible format for streaming. Personally all of my .tivo files are seperate though.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you use kmttg to download the recorded files rather than TiVo Desktop, you have the option to decrypt every file into MPG as part of the download process, with the metadata (program information) saved as a separate text file. Streambaby will display the program information from the text file and stream the MPG.

Kmttg also provides more options for downloading recording files, including the option to download episodes from every series into its own series folder.

11. Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Member

May 31, 2002
    Do programs like Streambaby and pytivo work without compatibility issues on Premiere?

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes.

With pyTiVo, you do need to use a recent version so the Premiere is recognized as a high-definition TiVo.

13. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I use KMTTG and PyTivo with a premiere. The transfer speed capability of the Premiere makes this a great solution. Much more robust/flexible than the Tivo desktop.

I use it primarily to move .tivo files off to the Raid for added long term storage, but it is nice to be able to move a file to my iPod or laptop occasionally.

KMTTG - nice app on the PC to schedule and control transfers from Tivo to PC.
    PyTivo - serves them up so you can get them from the Now Playing List.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It would be much, much nicer if the TiVo would accept and play additional formats so they don't have to be transcoded (which is slow and loses SIGNIFICANT quality, at least in my experience with the HD). I would be very happy if it could do that with 264/AC3/avi (which is an abomination, I know) or 264/AC3/mkv.

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    For your mkv files, I wrote a Windows batch job to demux the mkv and remux to mp4. Here are the relevant links:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7883170#post7883170
    and
    http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7646122#post7646122

16. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    In an ideal world, what you desire would be a very smart business decision for TiVo. On top of everything else, it could become the premiere streamer solution.

In the real world, TiVo works well for basic functionality. Everything else sucks; or put more diplomatically the Premiere still has a lot of bugs. They need to "stick to the knitting" and fix what they have already promised.

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks, but like TiVo, I use Linux.

So as long as the video is 264/ac3/mpeg4, then PyTiVo/TiVo doesn't have to transcode? If that is the case, then why doesn't PyTiVo just demux/recontainer on-the-fly, when it encounters 264/ac3/*?

Anyway, my stuff is stored a somewhat freaky 264/ac3/avi combination (hey- there was no such thing as mkv when I started, and the mpeg container caused problems with my players). A few months ago, I experimented with trying to de/re-mux the avi's into mkv, thinking it would be a more logical, modern, and accepted format... but the resulting files could not be played with PyTiVo (which surprised me)! Played fine with mplayer/etc. So I gave up, figuring I would try again some other day. I was trying "mkvtoolnix" with "mkvmerge -o outfile.mkv infile.avi"

18. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You can't currently "pull" H264 videos. You can "push" H264 videos with AC3, provided they are in a MP4 container. "Pull" refers to video transfers requested from the bottom of the TiVo's NPL; "push" refers to video transfers initiated from a PC (or from within Streambaby).

With pyTiVo installed, you can push MP4 videos as is using the pyTivo web console at http://localhost:9032/. Alternatively, you can run Streambaby, which allows you to push videos directly from the TiVo interface. Streambaby instructions below:

As you can see from the stickied performance charts, MPEG-4 videos transfer about 50% faster than MPEG-2 videos.

As for changing the container on-the-fly, I don't think ffmpeg can do that reliably.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I (like I guess most people) would want streaming, not pushing, so I guess I am stuck with transcoding until TiVo gets a clue. Since I am still on the HD (= miserable network speed) that cements it. I suppose if I do upgrade to a Premiere, then at least pushing would be much faster and possibly acceptable (with Streambaby as a UI) although it really, really aggravates me that the Premiere is still stuck with only streaming one container and with only a few codec combinations.

I gave up a long time ago trying to refer to video as a single format name. When you say "mp4" that doesn't really say which codecs are used/required, since the mp4 container is rather flexible. But if you say "264/ac3/mp4", then I know exactly what you mean (which is what I do think you meant, although I bet it will also accept mpeg2/ac3/mp4).

It seems that mkvmerge can't do it reliably not-on-the-fly, either :( Or perhaps I was doing something wrong (not sure how, since the syntax is so simple).

20. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Both the TiVo HD and Premiere accept push transfers with mpg/ac3, mp4/ac3, and mp4/aac. Both also support streaming with the same formats using Streambaby. Throughput on the TivoHD makes streaming for many videos impractical, however.

[​IMG]