TiVo Premiere and "Live TV" with Cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by drweb, Jan 13, 2012.

1. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    I hope someone here has "been there, done that" to help with this issue. I'm upgrading from TiVo Series 2 (old!) to TiVo Premiere HD in a few weeks. I'll be using a CableCard M-type from Cox San Diego (they will let me pick this up at the retail store, and install myself).

My TV is an HD Sony Bravia EX500, with several HDMI ports (but never enough, right?). I just got at Christmas a Sony Blu-Ray/DVD Player, too, and last October, I added a Google TV to the setup at home. No receiver/A/V or soundbar with the home system as yet.

Here's my question, briefly. I believe I'll have two tuners to record two shows at once in the TiVo Premiere box with the CableCard. I'm not sure how two lineups will show up on the TiVo screen to pick recordings, but now I do see 0-99 on one list, and anything above 100 on another tuner listing; so, I'd expect to be able to do that on the new CableCard setup, too.

So, let's say the TiVo is busy recording two shows, and sometimes I might want to catch part of a game on live TV. I would not want to switch channels on the TV --since that is something I already messed up once or twice now --thinking it wouldn't matter to the recording -- it does!

I can split my cable signal from the wall, I think, before I put the cable line into the TiVo Premiere. Then, one goes into the TiVo Premiere, and one goes into the back on the TV -- it has a cable connection IN on the back.

If that makes sense, should I be able to let TiVo record the two shows, and switch via INPUT to the TV setting on my Sony Bravia, and watch ANOTHER show there?? For this to work, I guess, the Sony Bravia has to have a channel tuner built-in. I hope this makes sense!

Best,
    DrWeb

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes, except it will just be one complete channel listing with all of the channels your CableCARD receives. Both tuners will be able to access all channels.

Yes, that will let you watch a channel on your TV without interrupting two in-progress recordings on your Premiere. However, keep in mind you might not be able to tune to ALL the channels in your cable package since your TV won't have a CableCARD in it to decrypt those encrypted channels. You may be able to pull in some "in the clear" digital channels (search around here for QAM for more details) on your TV but it probably won't be everything.

The other way around this is to get a 4-tuner Elite and then not worry about splitting the coax. :D

3. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Awesome, Windracer.. thank you. Will be neat to see all the channels to record from on the new Premiere. I see your point about non-decrypted channels.. hmmm, I'll have to research more on QAM to get up to speed.. thanks again!
    DrWeb

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Thanks.. it's been a nightmare.. instead of enjoying my new TiVo Premiere XL, I've had nothing but issues, on the phone with Cox Cable support at least 4 times this weekend, no one could get the CableCard working, and then the TUNING ADAPTOR working. Good people, just not enough skills and understanding of the technologies or systems to make it work remotely.

First, I got the CableCard from the Cox Escondido store a few days earlier. It had the phone to call for activation, and the workorder number. After setting up the new TiVo on Saturday morning, I installed the CableCard following the instructions, and it seemed ok for a while. Then, I realized, it wasn't getting the right channels. So, I called Cox. We got the M-Card working ok, but all the switched digital video channels were blocked/greyed out. The Cox person then informed me I should have a Tuning Adaptor for the setup. No one had mentioned this before, sigh. So, Sunday morning, I get one from Cox Escondido, then home to finally get 100% setup and so my shows would record on Sunday (lots of them in Season Passes on the TiVo..).

So, I installed the Tuning Adaptor, checked my steps, turned it on, and the light is blinking, not steady. Then began 3 calls to Cox San Diego, and no one could solve the problem. I rebooted the TiVo; I removed the CableCard, re-installed it. I re-did Guided Setup. Nothing worked. Now, with the Tuning Adaptor installed, it was BLOCKING EVERY CHANNEL. The CableCard had worked fine on Saturday after the first call to Cox, and now, zippo. So, I called again, and asked for a tech to come tomorrow morning. We'll see how that goes.. I removed the hookup for the Tuning Adaptor, and yes, the CableCard works 100% fine (except of course those blocked SDV channels - which is why I had to get the Tuning Adaptor in the first place, sigh). So, I have some channels tonight, and we'll see tomorrow if they can fix it. It's a Cisco box, so should work. It perhaps has the wrong software, can't update itself, or the settings are wrong on it. More tomorrow... :(

The worst part is feeling like my enjoyment of the new (not too cheap!) TiVo Premiere XL is diminished by this process; instead of having "fun," and learning about it this weekend, I just spend a weekend in technical support hell. I know things don't always work right, boxes can be broken even new, but it's just not what I hoped for...

DrWeb

6. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Just an update. Cox folks came to the house yesterday, and it's finally all working. It seems the black cable they gave me with the Tuning Adaptor had a bent wire, so it couldn't connect okay. Plus, it wasn't authorized (though I'd been told by several techs it was. He fixed it, great tech!

Last question, if anyone can help with this matter.

As I noted above, I was going to keep the Digital Cablebox and use it just for Google TV Logitech Revue setup. That seems to work okay, but it's not integrated with the TiVo Premiere XL.

How can I setup the GoogleTV and TiVo together? I think it goes like this:

Google TV > HDMI out > into TiVo Premiere XL HDMI in ???

I am not quite clear how to set that up. Any help appreciated! :)

DrWeb

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 21
    drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    So, last night, I wanted to record "The Adjustment Bureau," on one of the HBO channels I pay for. It wasn't showing on screen when I went to it on the Guide, and said call your cable provider, this channel not authorized. AAARRRGH! I hate this. It was working, now what's wrong? I hate Tuning Adaptors, Switched Digital Video, and Cox at this point. I rebooted the TiVo and I watched the Tuning Adaptor blink over and over, I believe that is trying to "sync" and then it had a steady light, but when done, there's still no channels on the HD area, 1200+ area. What's wrong with this technology? I don't want to keep messing with this, I want the cable channels I pay for!
    Best,
    DrWeb

ps. Nothing to do but the HELL of trying Tech Support and taking time off from work for another cable guy visit. Just very unhappy with this whole process, and it diminishes any pleasure in the $$ I spent for TiVo upgrade to Premiere XL.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 21
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It doesn't sound like a SDV issue. It sounds like they haven't authorized your card for the premiums correctly.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 21
    drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Thnx Rainwater. Yep, it happened with my first setup, why they had to send a tech to house to try and fix it. I sat on the phone for several times with them, told them the authorization didn't work, didn't "stick," and they finally got it to work, worked a while, now - zippo. What's wrong with this technology? Cheap? Outsourced? Did Cox buy junk? How many Cards and Tuning Adaptors are failing, and worst part, I have no idea why it stopped working. I have no idea what to do to fix it. I have zero confidence my TiVo will record any show now. Yes, I'll call tonight and sit on the phone with them again, and may have to have a tech visit (again), and take time off from work. I wonder if AT&T or DISH or satellite would work better? Sigh.. just sucks. I got the Premiere to record and enjoy HD mostly. Instead, I'm just trying over and over to have reliable service that I am paying dearly for.
    Best,
    DrWeb

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It's the old finger-pointing problem. Whenever you try to make hardware from several vendors work together, each tries to blame the other for any problems. And in the case of cable cards, the cable companies have mixed feelings about making it work, since they would rather force you to give up on TiVo and just use their equipment. All you can do is try to judge fairly who is really to blame, and then keep after them until they fix it.

11. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
  12. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    So, true, hate that finger-pointing. Don't sell what you can't support, I remember from my time at AOL and Inktomi and DIALOG in Silicon Valley :)... I would not use any cable DVR after TiVo, well one exception I guess, IF there was a certified TiVo-DVR from Cox, but I doubt that would/will happen. Thanks for the post, I'll post here what happens next. Supposedly a Supervisor is coming to the house tonight after 7pm to fix this mess, we shall see...

Best,
    DrWeb

13. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Thnx JandS.. in this case, my Internet works fine via Cable modem and Cisco Router in home, wireless network. To the best of my knowledge, this issue is unrelated so far to anything about Internet/IP addresses/protocols, but we shall see as another tech is visiting tonight, I hope. I think it's in their stored Cablecard settings (seem to get removed/erased/inaccessible), or Tuning Adaptor (seems to lose sync, lose information, lose authorization). As I think I said earlier, I have no idea what's wrong yet or how to fix it. I don't think there's anything else I can do; it's up to them to fix this, so I get what I'm paying $$ for.

Best,
    DrWeb

14. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    With Cox San Diego most of the HBO HDs require the "Plus Package" along with the HBO subscription. It is free, for CableCARDs, but you need to call, find a CSR that knows what is going on and get the HBO HD Plus Pak channels added to your account. Originally these channels were only going to be offered with the Whole Home DVR bundle, but Cox recently saw the light of the FCC requirements.

Regular HBO HDs
    1200 HBO HD
    1201 HBO2 HD

Plus Package HBO HDs
    http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandiego/tv/channel-lineup.cox#20
    1202 HBO Signature HD ±
    1203 HBO Family HD ±
    1204 HBO Latino HD ±
    1205 HBO East HD ±
    1206 HBO2 East HD ±
    1207 HBO Zone HD ±
    1208 HBO Comedy HD ±
    ± Channel available with subscription to Cox Plus Pak, Cox HD service and subscription to corresponding programming Pak or premium channel.

If you don't get the additional channels Authorized, Contact Joshuarat at the following forum, he is a Cox San Diego employee.
    http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/thread-plus-package-hd-channels-cablecard

Also check out my post below in signature for Cisco Tuning Adapter Troubleshooting.

15. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Amazing, CoxinPHX.. I will show this to the Tech, who came tonight and will be back tomorrow at 2p.m. HE swears he will stick with this until it's fixed. I had no idea there was separate authorization required. I get Showtime and Movie Pak, so I wonder now if those need additional authorizations. I know each blank channel pops up a TiVo msg, channel not authorized, contact your Service Provider, etc.
    It's been a nightmare and puzzle, but I think I am getting closer. The new Tech went all out about signal into the line into the house, over the box outside, the street, meter readings, checking connections. He seems convinced it's all about how much signal gets into the box/Cablecard/Tuning Adaptor, and swears that makes all the difference. I don't think so at this point, since a) it worked fine then stopped; b) I have a digital Cox box and all the channels are *there* --no pixelization, all coming in on that box. Tech says well, the box handles the input differently, so I don't know. He's going to try and get permission to wire directly from "street" or box to my apt home, and see if that fixes it. I doubt it, frankly, since I can see in the TiVo diagnostics that signal strength is fine, strong, steady. The authorizations are not sticking, being deleted, being de-authorized somehow. I wish I understood the technology better, but I will try and learn. It's frustrating, but this will help immensely, and give us a better chance at at least getting THESE channels into the TiVo.
    I will let you know if I run into issues, and contact your associate if need be down the road. Hope I don't need that aid, but damn nice to offer it. I will look at those Cisco tips, as well. I did find quite a bit of documentation on the TiVo Support site about Cablecards and Tuning Adaptors. I plan to review all of those at breakfast time, I hope... I do get *many* channels, but as yet I still don't know which are blocked -- COX does not offer any list that I have found to show which channels on my subscription plan are SDV. If I knew what they were, I could test each one for reception.
    More tomorrow...
    Best,
    DrWeb

16. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    You ask you shall receive. SDV channels for Cox San Diego provided by Joshuarat. See Linked Excel spreadsheet. I also converted to PDF, in case you could not download from link.

http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/thread-sdv-channel-listing-cox-san-diego

17. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Awesome! thnx again. I grabbed a copy and will print out so me and the Tech today can use this for channel verification. There's always hope when the people on the 'Net share what they have found out & know :) ...

Best,
    DrWeb:cool:

18. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't call the cox main number, you will not get qualified help. Call the number on the cablecard pairing screen. Go under settings and messages - there's a cablecard diagnostics menu in there somewhere. One of the cablecard diagnostics screens will have the toll-free number for cox cablecard support.

You'll hate it less when you get everything working, but whenever there's some small change (like wanting those plus package channels - or anything new - authorized) be ready for anything.

Cox and TiVo do a very poor job of supporting their customers.

19. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Here's the final update for this thread. All is well now; 2nd visit by dedicated support representative from Cox San Diego went well, and we had a new line from the "street" to the home added; came in through a closet wall, and re-wired inside. The signal strength was fine after that for cable/HD/Internet. Then, we got to checking the list of SDV channels, and found they were still blocked ("not authorized"), so Tech talked to someone as a CSR at Cox on his team, and found out they could turn those on, as was noted in this forum. So, I have have the HD channels on the TiVo Premiere XL that were blocked/not authorized before -- this covers the premium services I get (HBO and Showtime). So, all seems well. Very happy to get this going...

A minor issue with the non-digital/HD box in the bedroom and an old TV that now seems to no longer have the right channel lineup or authorizations, but I'll call their regular support to resolve this one.

I appreciate all the help here, the tips & documents shared, and it's great to have a community who cares about these wonderful gizmos :) called TiVo!

Now, I may go ahead this weekend and try to mount/connect the Google TV Revue to the TiVo Premiere XL. I'm not sure exactly if that will work, or how to switch between those services if they are sharing a single input, but we shall see. Onto the next experiment this weekend...

Best,
    DrWeb

20. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just a note on the Cox provided HD Set-Top-Box, It is not capable of receiving the extra HBO "Plus Package" channels. If you want or expect those channels on leased Cox equipment, Cox is requiring the Whole Home DVR equipment, at an additional cost, plus a $79 install fee.

The Plus Package channels are broadcast in the 900MHz range and the older Cox equipment only tunes to 860MHz.