TiVo Premiere along w/ Comcast DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Sk8Leigh, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I bought a TiVo Premiere tonight (my first TiVo), and now I need to try to get it set up. I have Comcast service with an HD DVR connected to an HD tv. I would like to keep the DVR for now, so that I can get On Demand.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook it up. I was hoping that I could go from the wall into the Comcast DVR, then from that DVR to the TiVo, then from the TiVo to the tv, and then I wouldn't need a cablecard until I got ride of my Comcast DVR. But looking at the connections that the TiVo has, I'm thinking that won't be possible. What do you think?

If I can't do that, then I'm thinking I'll need to use a splitter and split the cable from the wall to go into both the DVR and the TiVo (and would thus need a cablecard for the TiVo), and then go from each one of them into the tv, and then I could record two shows on each, and would have to choose via the tv which one I wanted to watch. (Choosing which input I'm using.) Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is exhausting. LOL

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My honest advice is to get rid of the Comcast DVR. Between Netflix, amazon and BT there is no need for OnDemand.

3. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I will get rid of it. I also have some things on it that I want to try to burn to a DVD (using another DVR), so that's another reason to keep it. I'm definitely not keeping it forever, just for now.

Any ideas about my questions?

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    the premiere isn't like a VCR, where you can take the signal output from your comcast DVR and utilize it with the premiere box. You're going to need a splitter, and either a second cablecard or repair the cable card in your comcast DVR to your Premiere (I'd do the later) and bring back the comcast DVR.

That being said, you should be able to set up/configure and do preliminary set up with your Premiere with out a cable card in it.

6. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    What does this mean? Are you talking about taking something out of the DVR and using it with the TiVo? I think getting a cablecard from Comcast sounds less scary.

Also, if I use the splitter, do you think I'll lose much signal quality by having an extra connection in there?

Thanks!

7. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I'm talking about taking the cablecard out of your comcast DVR and putting it in the Premeire unit. After doing so, you will then have to contact comcast and have them repair the card to your Premiere unit, as a cable card is assigned to a specific piece of hardware (ie. it is currently configured to work with your comcast DVR)

You can certainly get a second one. But you will be paying for 2 instead of just 1.

8. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I don't want to try to pull anything out of my DVR. I'll just call them to get another one.

What do you think about the signal quality with a splitter?

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It shouldn't be a problem unless the line has been split many times already. I have two Tivos in the living room and the signal is fine.

10. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Oh great, thanks!

11. dkraft

dkraft Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I used a splitter and lost channels, not all channels but some.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    An amplified splitter might help. I had to get one for my room to be able to get many many digital channels. A few are still unwatchable, but it made the problem much less bad than it was before.

13. orangefur

orangefur New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Massachusetts
    We used an amplified splitter to keep both our Comcast box and our Premiere. Wanted to keep the box to get OnDemand shows for the kids as well as for my husband to be able to watch sports or whatever if both tuners were already recording on the TiVo. It works well for us.