Tivo Premiere A/V outputs - simultaneous?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by awoolf, Sep 20, 2011.

1. awoolf

awoolf New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Looking at dumping my digital cable DVR and going to a Tivo Premiere.

One question: Do all the video/audio outputs operate simultaneously? (Composite video, component video, and HDMI)

I'm currently using a cable-company DVR, and have the three outputs running to multiple TVs. (HDMI+TOSLINK to receiver/projector, component+R/L to a splitter/amplifier & run to 3 LCD TVs, and composite+R/L run to an old 4x3 LCD at the hot tub.) ALL the outputs operate at the same time. HD stuff is letterboxed on the composite output, SD stuff is pillarboxed on the HD outputs. Works perfectly. On a side note, everyone should buy a "Next Generation Remote Extender" - They're freakin' magic. Google it.

Can the Tivo Premiere do the same thing? (ALL three outputs in use at the same time) If not, do any two work simultaneously?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Definitely yes for the S3 & Tivo HD.. I suspect the Premiere is the same.. HOWEVER, even if this is true, there will almost 100% positively be a huge problem with trying to do what you want to do:

If you switch your TV or receiver to ANOTHER input from the HDMI input from the TiVo, now ALL of the TiVo outputs will end up saying "HDCP not supported"..

So using composite & component at the same time is reasonable.. but using those AND HDMI almost certainly won't work trying to do whatever you're trying to do..

I ran into this trying to use the HDMI inputs on my new TV.. and ended up doing basically what I did before -- use my DVD recorder as the 'switcher' for the TV.. (I like that because I often record TO the DVD recorder to watch things faster than realtime). I also have the component *video* hooked up to another input to sometimes check something on the TiVo when the DVD Recorder is recording.. but haven't bothered to hook up the audio.

3. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I run HDMI + component with my premiere without issue. I am 99% certain that video/audio is sent to all output at once.

As far as the handshaking, I definitely have the video cut out for a second or two (when viewing on component, I also have a component amp/splitter) when I turn on my HDMI set that is connected to the premiere. I don't ever switch that TV to any other input though, so I don't know if there is a handshake issue when the set is powered on but on another input.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This is how my Premiere and TiVoHD/S3 units behaved. I have one TiVo connected to a stand alone DVD burner from the composite output. If I don't have the TV on the TiVo HDMI input It won't send a signal to the burner. This is whether the Tv is on or off.
    To get around this I send the TiVo HDMI output through a manual HDMI switch. And when I need to record something for my girlfriend I change the HDMI switch to an empty input. Then I don't have any issues.

5. awoolf

awoolf New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Well, I jumped on the Premiere+Lifetime-for-$449 deal.

Worst case, I'll buy one of the Component+TOSLINK->HDMI converters to get around the HDCP issue.

I'll report back with my findings!

6. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    i've noticed that audio is being output on both hdmi as well as toslink regardless of what's hooked up - and I couldn't find a place to configure it otherwise.