Tivo Premiere $449 with lifetime service --- $150 off

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Wingershute, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
  2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Interesting fine print at the bottom.

"TiVo offers no-commitment monthly service pricing with purchase of a full-priced TiVo Premiere box, available by calling 877-921-3555."

Up at the top it says the regular price on the Premiere is $99.99

So does that mean you can get the Premiere for a hundred bucks and pay by the month, without being tied to a one or two year commitment?

Can you use the "antenna" promo code and get it at a hundred bucks plus $9.95 per month no commitment?

How much was the original full price of the Premiere anyway?

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Regular price is the discounted price that comes with service, that is the norm for buying TiVo. Full price is whatever price TiVo offers the Premiere without subsidizing the cost by the subscription. This isn't a complicated concept but it is one that people like to try to circumvent and get a subsidized TiVo price without paying a subscription fee that allows TiVo to recoup the loss on the hardware. This is the way it has always been with TiVo.

I didn't call to see what the "full price" is but I believe it is about $300. I wish I could afford $450 today for a Premiere with lifetime, I think that is a great deal.

4. Dr Strangelove

Dr Strangelove New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    So this would be the cheapest way to get a TiVo with lifetime correct?

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Cheapest way to get a new TiVo Premiere with lifetime to the best of my knowledge. You can certainly find a used TiVo with lifetime for less.

6. Nihilator

Nihilator Rebate Whore

Dec 29, 2001
    Owings...
    Yes, that's correct. I just (two days ago!) bought a factory-renewed Premiere through woot.com for $55 shipped, and my MSD gets me the Lifetime Sub for $399, so I'm apparently not saving anything over this deal ... and this deal gets you a brand new box. Dammit.

They're starting to clear out their inventory in preparation for the Elite.

--Nihilator

7. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    This would be great for a New TiVo Owner to get 2 TiVos w/lifetime and save $200 total on both Lifetimes,

Fingers crossed on some SW updates coming to the premier now...

8. Dr Strangelove

Sep 19, 2011
    I am switching to TIVO from Comcast DVR and will pull the trigger on one of these. One quick question, if I do a TIVO with lifetime and a second one monthly would that second unit go at 19.99 or 14.99?

9. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...

10. Leon WIlkinson

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Dr if what I post about the Lifetime is true, which I believe is. Then yes, it should be @ the MSD price of $14.99. I would wait 1 month before I purchased the second unit, to be sure .

11. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    The Elite will replace the two tuner Premiere?

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Umm, no. There is no reason to "clear out" inventory for the Elite - the Elite is a cable only product and doesn't replace either the Premiere or XL in any way.

However, it's possible that there is a manufacturing refresh coming that replaces the 320GB hard drive with a 500GB one (I saw that spec on one of the PDF files), which would provide a reason to "clear out" inventory.

13. Leon WIlkinson

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Yes this might be true. However I bet there is more people with access to only CBS,ABC,NBC and FOX or some of them, then people with say 20 station like ESPN so cable would be there option.

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It would make sense since the Q uses the 500gb drive so they would get better pricing on buying more 500gb drives.

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No, you can't pay $99 and get any of those deals without a commitment.

The "full-priced" Premieres are $299 for the base model and $499 for the XL. You have to purchase at those prices to be eligible for month-to-month pricing without an initial service commitment.

Not sure why anyone would want to do it, but it is an option.

16. Dr Strangelove

Sep 19, 2011
    Still not sure on lifetime versus monthly...seems like a good deal if your box lasts beyond 2yrs.

17. Leon WIlkinson

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Most trouble with a TiVo is the hard drive, which can be fixed by yourself

I never went in a computer before and my first HD replacement was bought ready to go from Weaknees.com, second TiVo HD replacement was a Bare HD which I Imaged myself with Instant Cake. My third will be a Premier with Comets utility

18. Dr Strangelove

Sep 19, 2011
    I'm thinking of going the route of one of these with the lifetime and another form amazon at $80 with 14.99 pricing. Just seems crazy to drop $1k on TV up front.

19. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Those were my exact thoughts before I opted for 2 Premiere units with lifetime. But if you do the math, 2 DVR cable boxes would cost you at least $30 a month if not more to rent per month from your cable company. You still have to pay $6 a month for the CableCards w/ TiVo so assume you'd save around $25 a month. Thus, you would break even after 2-3 years. In the long run, it does make financial sense... especially since these units have great resale value. You won't recoup anything if you are on the monthly plan and would only be getting the added benefits of the TiVo interface/services as opposed to your Cable Company's DVR/cable box units.

20. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I find it interesting that this deal adds $38.70 in tax for a sale to Arizona, for a total of $488.69, apparently no MSD applied.

Yet, if I choose to pay the $99 + $399MSD it only adds $8.60 in tax for a total of $508.58.

So TiVo is applying 8.6% tax on the combined $449.00 price on this deal.