Tivo Premiere 320GB HD erased I need a image please!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by trade, Dec 29, 2011.

1. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    I am a little confuse my Tivo Premiere expanded HD is starts to giving problems so I want made a new fresh copy but I discovered that my orginal Tivo 320GB HD was erased, so dumb!!!

I need made a copy, someone can help me with an image to download if that exists or I need to send to you guys?

Thanks

Trade

2. bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    If you are in Illinois I might be able to help you

3. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    I am in Southern California thanks for your offer, maybe can shipping to you and get back, if I do not get some help closer.

TRADE

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about the internal drive, or an external one?

If the internal one, how exactly did it get erased, and how exactly do you know that it was erased?

If you tried to look at it with Windows you won't see anything because it uses a different partitioning scheme that Windows doesn't speak.

Unfortunately trying to look at it with Windows seems to be a good way to screw it up, so even though it's not erased you still have to overwrite it with a byte for byte copy from another Premiere drive, which means losing all of your recordings.

Grabbing a new Premiere cheap at Amazon of Best Buy or somewhere, or a used one cheaper on Craigslist, is the easiest way to get a Premiere drive to use as a source to re-write yours if that's what's needed.

5. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    I did how you suggest, I got one from Craiglist for $50 brand new condition, and duplicate the hard disk.

Really I think that at beginning the orginal Hard Disk was Ok but I was using WinMFS so after the second try it not detect the Tivo Drive so I suppose Windows made bad.

But when I try win the Linux jmfs live it detects as a Tivo drive... well I duplicate anyways to be sure.

The good thing I have other backup Tivo Premiere in the case something goes wrong with the first one.

Thanks

Trade

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Windows won't mess up the drive unless you do something wrong while it's connected. I've used WinMFS a least a couple dozen times in the past and never had an issue.

7. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    I am Mac Guy, and my experience it that Windows can mess up a drive more frequently than other operating systems.

In the case of the Tivo maybe was my mistake try using WindowsMFS Live to duplicate the Premiere Hard Drive instead use the jMFS Live instead at the first time.

Trade

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you don't let Windows partition the drive (it may automatically ask you, just say no) no harm will come to the TiVo operation system.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Others have reported that just taking a look at a Premiere drive with WinMFS screws it up.

You can use the MFS Live cd to use dd or dd_rescue to copy a Premiere drive byte by byte to another drive because it looks at the drive at a level below partitions and such.

To do a copy and expand, I don't know of anything other than jmfs that's considered safe.