Tivo Premiere “no signal”

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lynn51, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jan 8, 2019 #1 of 17
    Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I bought a Tivo Premiere series 4 on Ebay. The seller assured me it was new - he said it had been sitting in the box in a closet for some time. (It does look new.) I was setting it up and everything seemed to be progressing normally, then the tv screen went black and “no signal” popped up. I tried using a component RBG cable instead of HDMI, no change. I also tried formatting, and the same result. I have an identical Tivo connected to another tv and it works fine, so I took the new one and tried it with that tv. Again, no signal. I know the cable is producing signal because the cable box will work in that room. I wanted to return it but the seller refuses to accept it back because he said he tested it before he sent it out, and it worked fine. I hate to trash this Tivo because as I said, it looks new and I’d like to be able to use it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jan 8, 2019 #2 of 17
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    My Premiere lost its HDMI output a good while ago...I've been getting by fine on Component output as the TV it's connected to is the '2nd' TV location.

Edit: Ooppss...forget that...how far along does it get in "progressing" before the screen goes black? Have you tried the Up Arrow to change output resolution?

-KP

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Jan 8, 2019 #3 of 17
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    "No signal" message to me means a bad connection. I had a problem with a Premiere connecting the input cable. It seemed to be sensitive to the length of center copper wire of the input cable. It was long so I sniped it to make it even with the connector. Also make sure the center copper wire is centered and not bent to one side. The two tuner Premiere also has two input connections, one for cable and another for antenna. There's a format button on the front right to cycle thru different video resolutions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Jan 8, 2019 #4 of 17
    Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    It begins the booting up process, then just as it should go to the Tivo Central screen, it goes black and “no signal” comes on.

5. Jan 8, 2019 #5 of 17
    Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019

6. Jan 8, 2019 #6 of 17
    Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Thank you. The cable is connected to the correct input. Before I bought this Tivo, I had a DVR from the cable company connected to the tv and it worked fine, no problems. Also, if I disconnect the cable from the Tivo and connect it to a cable box from a bedroom tv, the cable box works fine as well. I tried pressing the format button many times, but it made no change whatever. This is the 4th Tivo I’ve set up in about 10 years and I’ve never had any problems before. I’ve done considerable online research and noted that a lot of people seem to have this problem, but no on seems to know the solution.

7. Jan 8, 2019 #7 of 17
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Many newer TV's display the Screen Resolution whenever there's a change.

At initial power on, the TiVo is outputting 480p. Also during the initial boot up ("Just a Few More Minutes").

Then, nearly the last thing that happens, is that the Screen Resolution (output from the TiVo) changes to the 'final' setting. The screen usually flashes.

If you can, maybe try it on another TV?

Maybe your TV only does 720p and your TiVo is set to 1080p?

The Up Arrow should cycle through selected Resolutions, but only the ones 'set' to be used.

-KP

8. Jan 8, 2019 #8 of 17
    Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Thanks. I should have mentioned in my original post that I tried this Tivo in 3 rooms in my house on 3 different TVs, and it wouldn’t work on any of them. I was especially puzzled when it didn’t work in the living room, since I have an identical Tivo Premiere connected to that television and it works perfectly. That Tivo is clearly getting signal from the cable, so why wouldn’t this new one? I keep wondering if it was damaged in transit since it was shipped in the original box with no extra protection.

9. Jan 8, 2019 #9 of 17
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Signal from the Cable (or not) wouldn't affect the Output of the TiVo.

It's clearly connected to the TV properly.

It sounds like it's sending out a resolution that's incompatible with your TV('s). Or, it really is broken.

Try the Composite Output (yellow jack) to see what's going on at TiVo Central.

-KP

10. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    It does sound like a tv/tivo resolution mismatch. If you're stuck with it, open it up and check the cable connections, maybe something got loose.

11. Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the composite yellow cable but couldn’t get to Tivo Central. It gets to the screen that says “just a few more minutes” then goes black. I guess I’ll just give up and trash it. Very disappointing and money wasted.

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
  13. Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.
  14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it has lifetime, let's talk business deal!

If it gets to the "few more minutes" screen, then the motherboard and the hard drive are communicating properly, at least to begin with.

Try a Kickstart 58. Look for the change in the front panel lights at about 60 seconds after you plug it in, then hit the pause button for a second or so, then punch in 58.

15. Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Ok, when I get more time to work with it, I’ll try these suggestions. Thanks.

16. Lynn51

Lynn51 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I tried kickstart 52 and 56. No change at all. Then I decided to do kickstart 59 which let me repeat the guided setup. This is something I would have already done if I could have gotten to Tivo Central. Anyway, it worked! It completed setup without a hitch. I have no idea why. It’s working fine now. I just hope it continues.

kpeters59 likes this.
  17. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I was going to guess hard drive or software bug as it was having a problem when it moved to the drive as a part of start up. Seller probably just checked boot, and did not wait until TiVo central. Glad you got it working.