Tivo Premier XL - Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Harryhorse, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Harryhorse

Harryhorse New Member

Sep 19, 2011

Advertisements

Had the XL a long time, upgraded HD works great. Can see has assigned IP in home network. Router passes traffic fine. Got an Fire HD tablet, installed Tivo app. The tablet gets an IP and can access the internet. Tablet IP scan app sees Tivo. Tivo app sees my shows. The App says no steaming device!

What to troubleshoot?

2. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Buy a TiVo Stream, or alternatively, buy a TiVo with built-in Stream functionality, such as a Roamio Plus/Roamio Pro. TiVo Premier XL can't stream to an Android device or iOS device by itself.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Harryhorse

Harryhorse New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Well, that explains it. So alternatively, I use TIVO desktop or similar kmttg to transfer to something, computer and stream from there or transfer files. I assume the TIVO stream is a small computer that accepts the TIVO coded stream, strips to mpeg2 and is then a streaming server itself. Stream seems to be a dedicated computer, easy to use, but another $150. But I understand now.

4. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Yes, TiVo Stream transcodes mpeg2 to mp4.

5. Harryhorse

Harryhorse New Member

Sep 19, 2011

Advertisements

I just received TIVO special offer for a Romio OTA refurb 1T. More expensive than the stream adapter, but would be an upgrade from the Premier. I assume the refurb comes with the lifetime guide and from reading in the forum even offers a promise of hacking to a Cablecard. So I thought I could use the Romio OTA as a streaming device transferring from the Premier, except I saw a discussion that suggested that was not possible with the Hydra interface.

The number of options to consider are now confusing.

6. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    If your goal is to stream content from your Premier to an iOS or Android device, then the Roamio OTA isn't going to cut it. It does not have a built-in stream.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A new TiVo (TE4) like those in that sale can watch programs on the old (TE3) Premiere. It just can't copy the programs from hard drive to hard drive. TiVo Online can do that.

8. Harryhorse

Harryhorse New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Thanks. So the offer doesn't help. Just saved me some $ and troubles. That's why this forum has great value. Got my Premier boxes upgraded following forum guidance. Now time to build a box to duplicate TIVO stream. Probably good stuff elsewhere from this forum to guide me. I just use and enjoy my boxes with some minor notions about the options. Still learning!