Tivo Premier: problem transferring mpg files to the tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chooven, Aug 25, 2011.

1. chooven

chooven New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Hello all,

I am having a problem transferring mpg files to my Tivo. VOB files seam to work fine but mpg files only transfer about 2MB of the 2GB then stop and when you try to play them you get the Delete window almost right away like the movie is over. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just setup my Tivo and have the newest version of the Desktop Software installed on Windows 7 64bit

Thanks

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    pyTivo works much better than the TiVo Desktop Software, and can push (upload) many more video file types.

Set up PyTivo on your PC to push videos to your TiVo. It is fast easy and I have pushed .mp4, .mkv, and .flv video files. Setting up pyTivo takes some effort and ability to follow instructions, but is fairly straight forward.

pyTivo Manual Install Instructions for Windows:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install#Manual_Install_Instructions_for_Windows

For Window 7 64 bit do not install the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\

Install the pyTivo files into C:\pyTivo (create the pyTivo folder, make sure folder properties are set to Read/Write)

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There may be an issue with the mpg files. Vob files are transcoded on the pc side, while mpg are not. How are you generating the mpg files? I usually use VideoReDo for vob to mpg, or Handbrake for vob to mp4. Both give good results on the TiVo. If you don't have the "plus" key for TD, the mp4 may not work for you.

4. chooven

chooven New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks. PyTivo is working well.

5. chooven

chooven New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I used handbrake from vob