TiVo Premier on Woot today

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RangerOne, May 24, 2011.

1. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    The TiVo Premier is on Woot again for $60. sellout.woot.com

I just pulled the trigger!

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    It is only a $20 discount over Amazon's pricing. With the new pricing model, there is no major advantage to getting a refurb. Also, refurbs on Tivo's site are $80 w/ free shipping. Seems like a letdown to me, once I figured that out...

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  4. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    My understanding is that the free 6 months of Hulu Plus came when you activated service. So, does it matter where you bought your TiVo from?

5. travisc77

travisc77 Member

May 25, 2005
    I have two S3's, does anyone know if I can get one of these and swap TSN's to replace the older units?

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I think not. My understanding is that all Premiere units are blocked from TSN swaps. A CSR can swap it for you, but in most cases, you have to prove you paid more than $99 for it and/or you bought it used and that person paid retail for it. Certainly a PITA but what can we expect from subsidized hardware?

I have to say, though, it is a good business move and forces all future Premieres to the new pricing. I really want to get rid of the THD I have due to the slow network transfer speeds, but that HD unit is at $7 monthly and I can't see going to $15 monthly or $399 lifetime (57 months break even).

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Noting that this one is refurbished... anyone have experience with the refurb policy since the pricing change? This will probably be the test batch, but the experience with the previous refurbs was somewhat different than the usual pricing alternatives.

That said, I think the best hope you'd have might be to transfer an old monthly sub onto one of these - I'm sure the only lifetime sub they'll offer is the $399/499 with/without MSD, and the new pricing seems to apply to ALL Premieres per the language of the T&C's. Definitely worth a go for someone, though.

Also FWIW, the Woot Premiere I received awhile back was perfect - no way to tell it wasn't new whatsoever except that it came in a brown box instead of a colorful one. YMMV, but if there is an issue with the box Woot may help you out even if Tivo won't.

8. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    So it sounds like I should buy a tivoHD somewhere to keep as an extra if my current monthly $6.95 MSD tivoHD craps out (and I cant swap that to a premier) :(

9. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I would pick one of these up if I could do a TSN switch. I really want to get rid of my old Series 2 DT. I do not want to do a contract or pay $20 :-( My Series 2 is at 9.95

10. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Got a link for Amazon's page on that?

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  12. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
  13. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah those are new. This is why most of us weren't that disappointed when the upgrade offer changed just to MSD. Amazon routinely sells below the $99 pricepoint so it is just about the same price as the upgrade offer previously was for.

I think for example they had the XL for $238 new the other day.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Here's my experience...
    I got a Premiere on the previous sellout.woot deal.
    When I tried to activate it online, I was only offered monthly plans at the $9.95 MSD rate (Some people posted they were able to get MSD lifetime by calling TiVo).

I just tried to activate that same Premiere and now the only options are $14.95 monthly or $399 lifetime (MSD).

I can't try a TSN swap because my other Tivos all have lifetime.

Edit:
    WTH, I tried a TSN swap. This is the message I got...

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

In all fairness, travisc77 didn't ask if he could do the swap online himself, he just asked if it was swappable.
    From personal experience with a woot refurb'd tivo on a $6.95/mo subscription that was swapped from an S2. Yes, I had to call and the csr asked wher I bought it and then she transferred the sub. No problem.

Then get one of these refurbs and continue to pay $6.95/mo.

16. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The fact that you can't do a TSN swap online with these Premiere refurb's has been a known and discussed matter since January.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    But it's eligible for subscription rates as low as $6.95/mo with a service number change.

18. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    People should probably be aware that even though this is advertised as coming with 6 months of free hulu+ service with activation, the activation has to be with a new subscription.

19. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Are you referring to a new Hulu subscription? If so then that's not the case when I signed up the other day because it said it was valid for existing Hulu subscribers. The caveat was that it can take up to 30 days for the 6 month credit to show up on your account. However, it's true that you have to have a new (or recent) TiVo activation/subscription to qualify for the promotion.

20. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks like this time these units will be treated as "subsidized Premiere" units. I think on the previous woot deals, the descriptions read that the units could be activated for $12.95/month.

This time the offer reads activation for $19.95/month.

They do qualify for lifetime though, so that is still another wrinkle.