TiVo Premier + NetFlix = Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by SpookDeJur, Feb 15, 2011.

1. SpookDeJur

SpookDeJur Two TiVo Dude

Feb 15, 2011
    CA

Advertisements

When ever I loose connection to NetFlix my TiVo premier reboots. Does this happen to anyone else? It is Seriously Irritating.

2. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    It has actually happened this past week 2 times on one of my Premiere boxes. Never encountered that issue on any of my Premiere boxes since I got them in October.

3. Ashley_TSR

Ashley_TSR TiVo Tech Agent

Feb 15, 2011
    Colorado
    Yes the tivo will reboot if you loose your connection while using netflix. I can tell you if you want your tivo to reboot faster you'll need to unplug your network adapter or Cat5 cable. If your using a Wireless adapter and you notice your tivo losing connection a lot then you most likely need to place the adapter in a better place. Make sure it's not just sitting on top of the tivo and not in an entertainment center. It needs to not be any where close to electronics and needs to be out in the open.

4. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same problem occurs on Series 3/HD.

5. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Happens to me too. In fact, looking around on the message boards, it seems like it's been going on for several years. What really bugs me is that my internet connection is rock solid until I start up Netflix. As soon as Netflix crashes, my laptop takes a few minutes to get back online. So either the Netflix app is taking down my internet connection, or it's taking down my router. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my router and see if that makes a difference....or just throw in the towel and pick up a Roku box.

BTW, my TiVo is wired into the router.

Also, from what I read, TiVo is supposed to releasing a patch soon for the S3 that allow Netflix to crash on it's own instead of taking down the entire TiVo when it loses it's internet connection.

6. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Man, the first time I read this thread I thought to myself 'Bummer. I'm glad I don't have that problem'

Guess what? I have that problem. Just happened tonight. Watching an episode of 24. My video kind of skipped for a second then nothing. TV said there was no input signal, then a few seconds later my Premiere started rebooting.

What is wrong with this dang machine??

Guess I'm calling TiVo to see about a replacement on Monday. Maybe if they start losing money on these units they'll finally have incentive to begin fixing the underlying system.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Before seeing about a replacement, you should wait a little while to see if TiVo releases a software fix. Any replacement you get now is going to have the same software with the same glitch.
    TiVo has released a patch for the S3/TivoHD platform, so I would hope that the Premiere is not far behind.
    http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8384666#post8384666

8. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Probably a good idea. I'm just getting a bit impatient I guess.

9. wtndwv

wtndwv New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The idea of having a wireless adapter that can't be near electronics is ridiculous. I've been using tivo for approx. 5 years and replaced our series 2 this past december, and the lack of quality in both hardware and software in the tivo premiere is really shocking. My wife and I have gone from evangelists for tivo to advising everyone we know to avoid their products.

10. mcbell30

mcbell30 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I've had the Tivo Premier for around 3 months now. I've given up on using Netflix on my box, since it likes to reboot so much. What really steams me is that the Tivo branded wireless N device was so expensive in the first place. Tivo's response? Why don't you connect it directly to the network. (buzzer sound) - wrong answer. I hope the fix comes soon, because, otherwise, I'm paying too much per month for no additional services.

11. wulleymammoth

wulleymammoth New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    As some of you have posted, a replacement Tivo Premiere is not the answer. I've gone through the "replacement hokey pokey", which also involved having to have my cable company make another trip to my house, to "re-pair" my Mcard, with my new Tivo's hardware ID. Also note that Tivo WILL NOT send you a replacement Tivo, in advance of them receiving your old one, without charging you "refundable-retainer fee", for the one that they are sending you. So, if you're not willing to let them charge your credit card, for the replacement Tivo, up front, they will NOT send you a new one, in advance of receiving your old one. So, that adds even more time, to the whole ordeal, without it being a viable solution, to begin with; and they KNOW IT!

Along with the last firmware update, which a Tivo tech told me was going to address the Netflix-reboot issue...which it has not, has been a frustrating experience. It boils down to lousy programming, with regards to the Tivo's Netflix app, that it cannot simply "trap the loss of connectivity", and at the very worst, bail out of the Netflix app, without causing the Tivo to reboot. My Playstation 3 does this, without any problem, when it loses connectivity with Netflix, and other streaming apps. As other posters have mentioned, this issue has been going on for years, so it must involve "rocket science of some kind", at this point (not buying that either)...for whatever reason...

Save yourself the added hassle of sending back your rebooting Tivo, and just work on minimizing the "loss of connectivity issue", on your network. We apparently, have to work harder than they do, to solve their problem :)

12. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I firmly believe my network isn't the issue though. Don't get me wrong, I do think the TiVo reboots when the network goes down, but I think the TiVo (or the netflix app) is causing the problem.
    In the 6 years I've been in my house, my roadrunner has been down 2 or 3 times, normally it's backup within 45 minutes. My network has had a few hiccups, most of them resolved themselves, a few required power cycling the network gear. Again, in all the time I've been in my house, this has happened only a handful of times. All of a sudden, in the past two weeks, since I've been using Netflix instant, my internet has become very unstable. Going down for 2 to 3 minutes at a time, multiple times per day and only when I'm streaming Netflix to my Premiere. Yes, I'm sure the TiVo only reboots when it loses connectivity while streaming Netflix, but I also thinking that streaming Netflix to the TiVo is causing my Network to do down.

13. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Is your network wireless? I could see a situation where a neighbor has just added an open wireless network and your Tivo gets 'confused' as to which network its supposed to connect to.
    Obviously, it is best to hard wire the Tivos when possible.

14. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not, but mine is wired.

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Er, yes your post prompted my response.
    I suppose my guess is shot to sh*t...:eek::D

ETA: The forum now censors $ h ! t without the spaces. :eek:

16. tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Thought I'd dodged the reboot problem, til this morning. I went to Netflix and before my instant queue came up the machine rebooted and let out a nasty groan. It reminded me of something falling into the garbage disposal or something getting caught in the mower blade. I wondered if it would come back on at all. It came back up and I was able to get into Netflix after a couple of glitches. Netflix has never worked perfectly before, but this was a new one. I've had my premiere for eleven months. It is wired in and using OTA.

17. FlipperJ

FlipperJ Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Where else,...
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the Netflix reboot grinder problem. I think that noise is a fan - if it's the hard drive it won't be working much longer!

We have two TiVos and I waited to upgrade the HD. Fewer bells and whistles but for me it has been stable even running Netflix. The premiere would be outstanding if they could patch this and other stability problems - I love the new interface for it's basic functionality. If nothing else TiVo Premiere excels at helping you find a movie or show from many different sources so if someone in the house just has to see something you can usually deliver.

I'm hoping that a major service pack type update is coming. This is a crucial time for TiVo with so many Internet tv devices on the market. They have always been ahead of the curve. They need to stay ahead of the pack.

Anyone have any intel on the grinding reboot issue?

18. abigail99

abigail99 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    OK, well that's a pain. It happened to me for the first time just now. And in the time it took me to open my laptop, search for this thread, remember my TivoCommunity login, and write this, it's STILL powering back up.

At least I've discovered that most of the time, switching to the SD menu and then back to the HD menu will clear the "No network connection" error. I wonder if I do that every time before I try to open Netflix, will that help insure me against the dreaded reboot?

19. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I had problems with reboots resulting from lockups while streaming NetFlix content when I was using the TiVo wireless N adapter. I suspect it had to do with interference from several other neighbors with wi-fi. I switched to ethernet cable and haven't had a problem since. I didn't have the patience to try to improve the wireless performance, not even sure if I could.

20. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I've experienced this twice with our Premiere XL in the last two weeks now. All of our TiVo's are "hard wired" with an Ethernet connection to our network (not a WiFi adapter) and our network is rock solid.

Had to power cycle TiVo (pull the plug, wait ten seconds and plug it back in) the first time as TiVo became completely unresponsive to remote commands after it auto rebooted. The second time it would accept remote commands so I performed a menu restart. Not happy. :mad: