Tivo premier can’t get into kickstart mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by brichter, Apr 30, 2018.

1. brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Hi, folks.

I have a Tivo premier and I can’t get it to go into kickstart mode to do either the 57 or 54 procedures. When I restart it, I wait until the green light is on and the yellow starts flashing, I push pause for two seconds which appears to do absolutely nothing, then I press either 54 or 57 on the remote and nothing at all happens, it continues to reboot just like normal and I’m back where I started.

I’m using the regular TiVo remote, so I don’t have to worry about RF/IR mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. May 1, 2018 #2 of 19
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Short thought: the hard drive is faulty.
    If the tivo is in a boot loop; I can guarantee the HDD is faulty.

In that case you will need to load a clean image for your model tivo, on a new HDD, to restore function.

3. May 1, 2018 #3 of 19
    brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    No, it’s not stuck in a boot loop. It appears to be functioning properly, except for occasional video artifacts and audio dropouts during playback. If I rewind and play the same section again, they may or may not occur again. I put a 4 TB hard drive in this three or four years ago and it’s been fine up until now, so I just wanted to take a look at the SMART data and have it run a file system check. If the drive is having issues I’d rather swap it out now and save the data that’s on it.

4. May 1, 2018 #4 of 19
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    My experience; that is a good indication that the drive is failing.
    You could always pull the drive and test.

5. May 1, 2018 #5 of 19
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Testing the drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics would be my advice as well. The built-in kickstart tests like KS57 might tell you something if the drive is bad enough, but a comprehensive test will tell you so much more.

6. May 1, 2018 #6 of 19
    brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    LOL yeah, I know I could pull the drive and test it, but I'm lazy. The path of least resistance is running the built in tests first. :D

Teeps likes this.
  7. May 1, 2018 #7 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it makes you feel any better, I've not been able to get a KS to work in years. I try a Premiere and Roamio. I can make the yellow light stop blinking, but nothing happens when I enter the numbers. It did work once.

8. May 2, 2018 #8 of 19
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Start pressing the Pause Button sooner and press it rapidly and repeatedly until KS starts...it works on my TiVo's...

-KP

9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 19
    brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks, I’ll try that before opening it up.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Agree, there is electrical flow in all of us!

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's what I have been doing, from the Weeknees site:
    2. You will need to restart the box and wait for the green light to come on.
    3. When you see the yellow/amber light begin to flash, hold the PAUSE button on the remote. You will have approximately 10 seconds to do this.
    IMPORTANT: Do not continuously hold down the pause button.
    4. You will release the PAUSE button and you will have approximately 10 seconds to press the kickstart code (see below) on the remote control.
    5. If you are successful, the blue and amber lights will blink in alternating patterns to indicate the code has been accepted. Do not stop the TiVo rebooting, this is normal, and if you were successful it will bring you to the black and white kickstart screen.

What is the trick? Is there a YouTube video?

12. brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    So, 2 presses of the pause button got me in, 54 is now running. Extended test says it's going to take 266 minutes, when the procedure finishes, will the Tivo automatically reboot, or will it stop and wait for me to reboot it? I need to run some errands, and wouldn't want to miss the results.

13. brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I had to push Pause a couple of times for it to be seen.

14. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Does this not work on hydra? I've tried numerous times and can't get it to work.
    My green and yellow lights blink in altering patterns but still end up in the tivo home screen.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    ????? Premiere forum and you're are asking about Hydra?

kpeters59 likes this.
  16. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    My apologies. I googled the codes and didn't notice the forum it took me to.

17. sometivohey

sometivohey New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Just found out this tidbit from a guy at Weaknees: If your Premier hard drive is truly bricked (mine was) then the kickstart doesn't work since the software that operates it is on the drive, not in the boot ROM. Another brilliant bit of design from the folks at Tivo - I'm not sure which other models this applies to. So I obtained and burned the TCD746320.vhd file to a new drive using DvrBARS, and it started right up, although of course you've lost all your content and have to go through all the set stuff again.

18. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    The Premiere was the last model to which this applies. The newer ones have the OS off the drive and can format drives.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To brick a Premiere: run CPI&TDL. After it dies you will need to reformat the drive. And the Kickstart 76543210 was ignored.