Tivo Premier after the one year contract?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Scudd, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Scudd

Scudd New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Has anyone had any luck getting their subscription back to the $12.95 month to month after the contract has expired?
    I picked up a Premier unit back in November at Worst Buy for the 99.99/19.99 a month deal and cancelled the service on my old unit. Do you think they will give me a hard time after the year is up getting my old $12.95 rate back?

2. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Nobody knows yet. Promo hasn't been around for an entire year yet.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the terms said you simply pick a plan that you want at whatever the prevailing rate for that plan is. I would not worry

4. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Prevailing rate is $19.99 a month. Draw your own conclusion until TiVo changes their mind yet again.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Bottom line is no one but TiVo knows for sure. This is mostly because language in their agreements is not very clear and seems to mean different things to different people.

My best guess is if you do nothing TiVo will continue to charge $19.99/mo and if you do something you will likely be able to pick a different plan. What the "something" that you will need to do is also unclear at this time. You maybe able to pick a new plain on line or you may have to call them and negotiate for a new plan.

Thanks,

6. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I have two Premiere units. I replaced a s2 and was able to get the 12.95/month rate on the second Premiere. (I snagged it off ebay for $49 a few months ago...)

So, the only way to get the 12.95 rate is to have more than one tivo unit as far as I know..

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The number of units makes no difference. You got the 12.95 because the unit you bought was not part of the promo. i.e. Someone bought that unit before the new pricing went into effect so it was not subject to 19.99 only.

8. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    If you call up and threaten to cancel unless they reduce your monthly bill to the then current price (Which just may be $20 monthly by then), they'll probably lower it. But even if they don't, once the year is up, you're no longer under any obligation to keep the Tivo going and can turn it off.

9. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    How many units do you have? What are your monthly rates?? I'd be interested to know so that when my current plan expires i can try to ask for yours...

Before I had the Premiere, I had two S2 units and neither on a plan. I paid 12.95 for the first one and 18.95 for the second one. They told me when I asked previously I could only get the discounted 12.95 rate if I had multiple units... They may have been feeding me a line, but that is also the rates that were offered/shown to me when I went to the tivo website and looked at their rates.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess there is no chance for the $6.95 rate to come back?

I have one Premiere on the $6.95 a month plan and the rest are on Lifetime. I guess I need to make sure I don't get rid of the one Premiere so i keep the $6.95 rate.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    $12.95 has never been a discounted rate.
    When was $18.95/mo ever a monthly no contract rate charged by Tivo?
    If you had two Tivos, the first one would have been at the regular rate of $12.95/mo and the second could have been eligible for MSD at $6.95 or $9.95 or it may have also been charged the full $12.95.
    Making up numbers isn't necessary.

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    It wouldn't surprise me that after the initial commitment at $19.99, TiVo may offer to change the plan to $12.95, but require another 1 or 2 year commitment at the lower rate. It would be kind of sneaky, but I could see it as one way they can either continue to charge $19.99 per month, but with no further commitment, or seem to appease those who would demand or use threats of canceling subscription to obtain the $12.95 rate--with a commitment, TiVo laughs. "He, he, he," the little TiVo critter grins. :).

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You have to do more than "turn it off". You have to call and cancel your service otherwise TiVo will keep billing you forever even if the box never calls in again.

Thanks,

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    If you do this, you NEED to get a confirmation # and you NEED to call back a day or two later to make SURE it was cancelled. Just saying it's the best practice!