Tivo Premier 11mos old, making noise, warranty?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Lrembrey, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Lrembrey

Lrembrey New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    So my 11month old Tivo Premier is making noise, I cannot tell just yet if it is a fan or the HDD, I will check more at home..

I just skimmed thru the Tivo site warranty pages and am a bit confused...
    90 parts & labor, 1yr parts..

So does that mean if I send it in they are going to replace/fix it, but hit me with a bill for the labor?? Last thing I want to do is send it back to them and hey replace the 250gb drive and charge me $150 when I could upgrade it to a 1 or 2tb myself for the same $$....

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is almost certainly the fan.

Yep. If you didn't buy an extended warranty.

Yep. And you will be probably be without your box for at least a week. AND you have to pay to ship it to them.

Yep. Or replace a fan for $30 or something in about 2 minutes. I think warranties that do not cover BOTH parts and labor are mostly a scam. That is why I tell people the TiVo really has a 90 day warranty. The two mostly likely failures (by far) in a TiVo are the fan and hard drive... both are user replaceable.

Not quite the same, but I remember the umbrella I bought for $7 that had a "LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!". Just take some time off work to go to the post office, buy a box, pay to ship it across the county, AND enclose a check for $9.95 to cover the return shipping, and wait 6 to 8 weeks. Really??

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    My Tivo was making noise and I found out that it was only that it wasn't sitting flat on the music receiver because one foot had gone over the edge. I straightened it out and the noise went away.

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    You should be able to check where the noise is coming from by popping off the cover and temporarily unplugging the fan from the MB. As was mentioned by a previous poster, replacing the fan or the HD are not difficult and less expensive than a Tivo repair. If the noise seems to be coming from the HD then you should take it out, hook it to your computer (don't let Windows mount the drive) and run the manufacturer drive test tools on it. The stock drive should be a 320GB Western Digital. The number I've seen most often here is $149 for Tivo to replace the box with a refurb and transfer your lifetime sub.