TiVo pranks movie theater audience, gives all free TiVo Bolts!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drusoicy, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1 of 21
    drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004

Advertisements

I thought I'd share. I flew down to cover this secretive TiVo event (#TiVoSurprise) - they used a showing of 007: Spectre and inserted a few commercial breaks near the end which no one expected. One guy got so mad he threw a glass bottle at the screen. Near the end, a TiVo rep came out and explained what was going on, and said that everyone would be going home with a brand new TiVo Bolt!

Here's my video coverage - it's way more fun to see it - enjoy!

2. Dec 8, 2015 #2 of 21
    HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Wow! Awesome! Both the event, and your coverage! Great job!

Thoughts:

1.) There's a 'list' I REALLY want to get on! TiVo: Here I am!!

2.) Lucky people!

3.) I would definitely sit through commercials for TiVo, even if I wasn't getting a free Bolt

4.) Last but not least: One free year of service? Lifetime?

Thanks for this post!!

3. Dec 8, 2015 #3 of 21
    drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004
    TiVo was generous...but not THAT generous ;)

Everyone got the 500GB Bolt which includes the 1-year of service. No lifetime there. They had about 400 units to give away that evening.

I'm gonna be doing a giveaway of the unit I got soon on my YouTube channel, since they already sent me a 1TB model previously for review.

Thanks for the compliment!

4. Dec 8, 2015 #4 of 21
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That was pretty awesome. Would have loved to be in that audience. It's bad enough they make us watch commercials before the movie starts. Can't imagine how pissed people would be to find a commercial inserted right in the middle of a theater movie.

5. Dec 8, 2015 #5 of 21
    davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...

Advertisements

I have the same reaction when OTT programmers try to have it both ways and charge for service and then tell us they want more ransom to get ride of the commercials Ala Hulu and YouTube Red. Tivo holding back features so they can force me to buy the latest Bolt is just about the same as well.

6. Dec 9, 2015 #6 of 21
    mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    well the PR i grate so they are getting allot for the 400+ people that go there free Tivos they are going to tell all there friends and if only half buys a Tivo that is 200 new costumer

7. Dec 9, 2015 #7 of 21
    Rey

Rey Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    It be nice to be on the receiving end in of these things :) . Thanks for sharing.

8. Dec 9, 2015 #8 of 21
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Please post in English. What language is that anyway?

9. Dec 9, 2015 #9 of 21
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Nice promotion but we won't see it a second time.

10. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Would've been really special if the Bolts included All-In. No one's going to see paying after the first year as a good thing.

11. drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004
    I've personally seen zero ads since joining YouTube Red. You seeing different??

As for Hulu - I agree with you, but I also get it. I pay for cable TV and get tons of commercials with my very expensive subscription fee, so Hulu for $7.99 showing commercials I also get. It's why Hulu has current TV and Netflix doesn't. I finally opted for the more expensive ~$11 Hulu plan that eliminates commercials for good ;)

12. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Seems like a nice promotion for the host and recipients of free boxes. But I don't imagine this does much for TiVo, Inc in terms sales.

Speaking of sales, promo Bolt emails are going out now for $200 off Lifetime. What should we make of that? Merely a holiday promo rewarding long term customers or slow sales in need of a bump?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well at $700 with lifetime the Bolt is only $100 more than what I paid for my Roamio with lifetime 2+ years ago. Back then my Premiere sucked in so many ways the Roamio at $600 seemed like a gift. If I still was using the Premiere with the old software I would jump on a Bolt with lifetime for $700 instantly. But honestly while I find the Bolt better than a Roamio in nearly every way, the Roamio works so well I will not be buying a Bolt with lifetime and selling my Roamio - even if it only ends up costing $400 net to do the upgrade it just isn't worth the effort to me (I am OTA only and do not have fast enough Internet available (my max is 9.5 Mbs) to ever stream 4K).

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If the box only includes 1 year of service there is a good chance a percentage of these these people will continue to pay for service after that.

15. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Interesting market test, though. Assuming they don't all sell their Bolts, those who actually go to the bother of setting it up and using it may be inclined to explore how they can keep it after a year by either paying for service or going All In.

16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If these winners don't cancel the service at the end of the one year plan, the service is automatically renewed and is non refundable.

17. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd think TiVo's marketing expenditures should pay off now not potentially a year in the future, to respond to Dan's point. Based on what CMO said, sounds like continued or significant retail investment by TiVo, Inc depends on success in gaining new customers.

Wonder if the hash tag was supposed to generate some online buzz that didn't work out and if they expected some word of mouth from attendees, whether or not they ebay their gifts. Related, wonder if they alerted local media and got any coverage. Andru's video a month after the fact is the first I'd heard of it.

With the new service plan and Bolt, are new customers required to provide credit card information when first setting up?

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think word of mouth and social media buzz is what they were shooting for here.

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I don't know. Their business model seems to be predicated on lowering the boom after the customer crosses the one year threshold and charging a non refundable yearly fee, unless the customer cancels before the year is up.

Many customers might hook up a bolt without realizing the service expires in a year and be furious when they call tivo after the first year when the bolt no longer functions.

I would think the customer would have to call in or add to an existing account.

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This question about if you need an account and need to give TiVo a credit card to activate a Bolt has been asked before. While I don't have first hand knowledge based on what other people have said the answers are:

If you buy the Bolt from TiVo they already have your credit card info from the sale and have placed the Bolt into a TiVo account and activated it as part of the sale.

If you buy a Bolt somewhere else you are required to activate it through TiVo which requires placing it into a TiVo account and giving TiVo a credit card.

As far as I know they will auto bill your credit card at the end of the year, which is how subscription services normally work.

If anyone with first hand knowledge thinks the above needs to be corrected or clarified please do so.