Tivo Poll: Limit How Long You Keep a Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NYHartChapp, Jan 11, 2006.

1. NYHartChapp

NYHartChapp Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Hi,

Not a huge user here, but I must say that any time I or DW has posted a question, we've gotten immediate and correct advice. So thanks.

When I popped on tonight for one of my infreqent questions (which was answered immediately) there was a poll regarding whether Tivo should limit the time you can store a recorded program. I never had considered this. Have searched and am hoping someone can point to a thread that can outline why Tivo would want to limit the storage time...(hey, I recorded it...I'll delete it when I want). Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    So you can have more space to record more programs.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    It would help to have a pointer to the poll.

It might have been something about Macrovision/DRM.

4. Globular

Globular No time to hack

Jun 9, 2004
    Groton, MA USA
    Well... I've got stuff from last June on my 300GB upgraded Series 2...

5. johnh123

johnh123 Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Over there
    This week, we just started watching NYPD Blue again...been waiting for us since the fall of 2003...two seasons left!

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it would not be TiVo limiting the time but more correct to say "TiVo following the DRM from the content owner on how long to keep the recording"

My stuff ranges all over the place as far as time it is kept nad have yet to have any flags telling me my time to keep is limited.

now if you mean the yellow balls warning of stuff may be deleted that is an entirely different matter

7. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I keep the program until I find the time to watch it. Normally this is within a day or to and very often the same night as transmission. Some programs take longer, particularlt ones that I like but my wife doesn't. These I watch when I get time on my own which may be weeks later.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Usually until I have time to watch it. But for some programs that has been as much as a year or more between when it was recorded and when I watched it. (Obviously an extreme example, but I've got a fair bit of stuff that is piling up from September, October.

Then there are certain shows or programs that I do want to keep forever (or at least until I get organized and can dump them to DVD).

9. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    I keep some until I know that a series might or might not get cancelled ie Reunion. Others, I keep until I feel like watching and am in no hurry to see, just finished The Triangle.