TiVo Plus free trial question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Can this be obtained on the Elites ?

I just ordered mine (S4 Elite) and should have it by Wed. of this week, well, what I want to do is try and get the trial on it so I can send everything from the OLED S3 and the S2 to it, deactivate those, the one with monthly anyway, and then activate the Elite. I know some would argue that why waste the time and just start your subscription now. Well, without naming the various reasons behind my decision which I shouldn't have to any way, the big one is being able to get 45 days free right off the bat compared to paying for the first month.

So ya, is the T+ trial available on the Elites ?

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm kind of confused. You can transfer any non-copy protected recordings directly to your Elite without Tivo Desktop. I'm not even aware of any free trial, it's not mentioned on their website. And Tivo Desktop Plus is a one time purchase, there's not a monthly fee.

3. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
  4. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Check out the first line of your first link. Tivo Basic/Tivo Plus only exists on the Series 2 DVRs with DVD drives. There's no free trial for Series 4 devices, they must be activated to use any features.

5. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I didnt actually read the first link, it just came up when I did a search for the second link to show you but in any event, that sucks.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Brand new out of box Tivos have a 7 day trial period for the EPG and recording features, but it does not include transferring. You have to have the Tivo active and on your account to turn that feature on.

7. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    If you have enough space on a PC hard drive for your content then you can simply transfer your content to a PC now and then copy it back down to your Elite once it's activated.

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    This includes stuff like season passes etc right ?

My Elite literally just got delivered by FedEx 2 minutes ago so if I set it up today I should be able to set SP's and stuff and have it G2G til 2/2/12.

That's just the thing, I don't...

9. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
  10. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well, seems until tomorrow I'm SOL... the cable guy isnt supposed to show up til then to pick up the two s-stream cards I was using in my OLED S3 and at the same time dropping off the m-stream card. While that isnt the issue, the issue is with not being able to use / watch TV on the Elite without the m-stream card.

I did try to pick one up yesterday since FCC regs say they have to hand em out OTC but the lady at the cable office said they keep em in an "inventory" building which is off property of the office.

I even redid the cabinet where everythings ketp so now, until tomorrow I hav to redneck off to the side the S3 & S2 back in so I can record stuff tonight an until tomorrow be able to watch TV.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the S3 since it's grandfathered at $6.95... I might get rid of that on eBay and just keep the LT S2 downstairs for my mom. I know right now I can multi discount the S4 at $14.95... I just wish I could get it at the $6.95 price that's on the OLED S3 or even get it at $9.95 which I noticed some users have on some of their units.

11. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Not so much worried about a money back guarantee as I'm happy with TiVo, I was just looking for a way to get a bit of free time to play around with some things between the three units before I have to get rid of one of em.

12. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    What cable company? I had to go 30 rounds with Charter to get them to allow me to self-install, but they have to by FCC rule allow you to self-install (including tuning adapters)

13. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Armtrong Cable in Meadville, Pa... the issue wasn't getting it OTC... assuming the lady spoke the truth, the issue was with her telling me they keep the cards along with other equipment offsite in a storage facility. In any event, the cable guys supposed to show up tomorrow between 8am -12pm EST to pick up the two S-Stream cards and give me a M-Stream to self install.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sheesh. Watch your bill and don't let them try and charge you a 'truck roll' charge.

15. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    They never do...

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    See if you can threaten to cancel that S3 and get the $99 lifetime offer.

At which point it becomes the (or a) anchor for your MSDs.

17. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    That's the thing, I don't have $99 and even then, it would only apply to the S3 if I did get that offer.

Funny note though, I pulled my CC's from the S3 a few hrs ago to get em ready to give to the cable guy in a few hrs and noticed I already had tow M-Cards. That said, I got one in the S4E running right now and everything checks out so it looks like all I need to do is the following.

1) Give the other "old" CC to the cable guy.
    2) Activate service on the S4E.

After those two things I should be G2G.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you hadn't bought the Elite you would!:)

But seriously, lifetime on that S3 would increase its resale value more than $100, or if you kept it, you could sell the S2 and still have an MSD anchor to bring down the monthly on the S4 or knock $100 of of PLS for it, couldn't you?

19. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I thought about it, before this post, if I had the $99 I would get LT on the S3 and then sell it for double if not triple the cost of the LT service on it. This way I would have a few bucks to play with. If this MO comes in today that I'm waiting on then technically I would have the money. I guess if nothing else I could probably "borrow" it for a bit and do the LT thing.

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You might want to get on the phone with TiVo and see exactly what they'll let you get away with, since it doesn't seem to be written down anywhere and there's a lot of CSR roulette involved.