TiVo playing nicely on an Android TV Box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rdrrepair, Sep 7, 2017.

1. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Hey all. Long time TiVo owner with a question about the android boxes currently on the market. I own a RoKu and a Amazon Firestick but I am currently on the market for an android box. I'm looking to get recommendations but am also hopeful that there's a decent one that wouldn't have an issue with the TiVo's app.

"Requirements:
    Android device with non-Intel or AMD chipset.
    Android 4.0 or later."

I like the Amazon Firestick TiVo app - No love yet on the RoKu but am hopeful that the recent announcement of RoKu and TiVo brings a working TiVo app on that device

It's been a few years since I've posted here so if I'm in the wrong forum or this issue has been discussed in greater detail elsewhere apologies in advance.

2. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Have you put the TiVo app on your Firestick? I use it on my FireTV and it is fine. The app is pretty old and maybe not the most responsive, but it plays shows from the TiVo (most of the time).

3. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Ah, read a little closer and I see you do use it. Why an Android box? Why not just the stick? My FireTVs are rooted so I have a few more options, but an unrooted one should run most apks, I think.

4. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I'm in the process of setting up a game room in my house and was thinking that the apps available on an android box that'll stream 4k and is capable of gaming might be the way to go. I'm currently leaning towards the "Nvidia Shield" because of its ability to work with our Android & Windows devices and the kids, iOS, Mac systems. It also gets everything in the Google Play Store, not just the movies and music, so it seems to have an endless supply of available apps for it.

Processor
    NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor with a 256-core GPU and 3 GB RAM

Video Features
    4K HDR ready
    Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)
    Up to 4K playback at 60 FPS (VP8, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2)
    Up to 1080p playback at 60 FPS (H.263, MJPEG, MPEG4, WMV9/VC1)
    Format/Container support: Xvid/ DivX/ASF/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MPEG-TS/MP4/WEB-M

Operating System
    Android 7.0 (Nougat) powered by Android TV and Google Cast (Chromecast built-in)

I'm really hoping it runs the TiVo app too but am unsure... Thoughts?

5. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    No experience with the Shield, but it is the preferred hardware for SPMC, an Android-specific build of Kodi. There shouldn't be any issues running the app, but someone else may be able to confirm that for you, or check out a shield forum. Good luck!

SPMC by koying

6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Thank you for your reply. Why do you think there's a limitation to the TiVo app that precludes the use of a "non-Intel or AMD chipset"?