TiVo pixilazition... with a twist

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Les Bartiromo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

I am having all the symptoms of a hard drive failure except it only happens on the HD channels. The other twist is that I have a TiVo approved external hard drive. Since this only happens on High Def channels could it be the cable company or the external hard drive?

Thanks!

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Sounds like an external drive problem.

When an external drive starts to fail, problems almost always appear on the HD channels first. HD channels read/write 4-8x as much information per second. That translates to 4-8x the number of errors that the TiVo's CPU must handle with a failing drive.

Failures with the 500GB My DVR Expander appear to be relatively common after 12-16 months. The 1TB My DVR Expander may be more reliable, but it hasn't been out long enough to know for certain. You always have the option of upgrading the internal drive, as discussed in the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ.

3. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut
    You were right. The problem WAS the external hard drive. I bought a new larger (500gb to 1 TB) DVR Expander and I've been recording a bunch of HD programming. I haven't had the problem so far. I lost about 99% of what was saved but it's going to be okay going forward. Thanks again.