TiVo "Phone in Use" and Vonage Fix

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Writer@Large, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003

Advertisements

Hey, all. I have two TiVo S2 (a 40hr and an 80hr), neither of which has connected to download program guides since 4/3 and 4/4 (within a day of each other). Every time I try to connect, both TiVos tell me "Phone in Use." But, the line is working fine! If it were only one TiVo, I'd suspect the problem were internat to the unit. But since both units have had trouble since the same approximate date, I suspect the problem is external.

Here's the thing: I am using Vonage, and I am using a dial-in fix I found on these forums. I had the thread bookmarked, but the link seems to be invalid now--it's the fix where the "prefix for dialing out" is actually a phone number in New York, I think, and then the TiVo dials back to the local number. It's been working fine for a year like that. But suddenly this "Phone in Use" message appears.

Anyone else encounter this? Is there a different Vonage fix I can try? Or some other known problem and fix? I run out of guide info this weekend!

--W@L

2. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Hrm. After posting this, I realized there was one thing I never tried: dialing the "New York Prefix" directly (I had dialed my local TiVo number, and it worked). The number dialed gives me a "The number you have dialed is not in service" message. This is definitely the problem, then! Gah! Anyone know if there's a new number, or a new Vonage fix?

--W@L

3. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Network your TiVo. If you have a router then that is the easiest thing to do.

You download the software from TiVo - plug in your wired or wireless adapter - run the setup and BAM - connectivity!!!

Seeing that you have 2 TiVo's you can transfer programs around to both units, stream the music from your computer to the Tv sets and a lot more! Give it a try - you will really like it!

4. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I would love to, but I am currently without a router nor the funds to purchase. It's my long-term goal. In the short-term, I just want to get my guide updated! :)

--W@L

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

I found this on the Vonage website...

It is located on page 8 - look around at what other people have tried from page 1 on back

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic4290-0-asc-0.html

Using Directivo HR10-250 calling from Sacramento;

ignore the dial in number
    Dial Prefix: 12122773895
    Call waiting Prefix: ,,#019,,
    phone available: off
    Dial tone detect: off
    And I do have a DSL filter connected to the TIVO box. (either)

For the Directivo R10

Dial-In Number: 12122773895(although I didnt need this chainged)
    Dial Prefix: ,#034
    Call Waiting Prefix: *70,*99
    Tone/Pulse: Tone
    Phone Avail Detection: Off
    Dial Tone Detection: On

Tested 10 out of 10 times on two R10's and one 10-250.

6. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Thanks for looking that up. However, that is the fix I have been using, and it is the 12122773895 prefix which is the now-disconnected NY number.

--W@L

7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Try the link I listed - there are other options to use then the one I posted. Have you tried the other tips on the Vonage site?

I just called the number from my phone - it works - I hear a "fax like" connection. Try calling on your cell phone - what do you hear?

Try it without the 1 in the area code too.

8. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Weird. I'm sitting here with my phone right now, and I dial the number, and it's telling me the number is not in service. I've tried it twice in the last few minutes.

When I set up the TiVo last year, I tried a few different fixes from this and the Vonage forums. Some didn't work; this one did. Hrm. Frustrating. I'll have to keep pounding at it. Thank you for the replies.

--W@L

9. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I am calling from areacode 845 - I know parts of Manhattan has changed areacodes. We went thru an areacode change from 914 to 845 a few years back - some parts of the country went with it - other phone systems turned it on beforehand and still others left it until the day after it stopped working - give Vonage a call and let them know that other parts of the country can dial that number without a problem.

edit: I just tried the other Manhattan area codes and it doesn't work

I also called out from my cell phone and it works!!!

10. Writer@Large

Writer@Large New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    TiVo customer service was a big fat waste of time. They refused to even talk to me because I use Vonage. When I tried to explain that the problem WASN'T Vonage, but a phone number OF THEIRS that stopped working from outside Manhattan, he just kept saying "The problem is Vonage, The problem is Vonage." What a disappointment. Fraking phone jockeys can't go off-script, it seems.

Sigh. Well, my TiVos just became next to useless ... or will, on 4/16 ...

--W@L

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    It is a Vonage problem!!!

I can dial my 3 phones and get the TiVo service to answer. Have you tried using your cell phone? If I can dial and get the fax-like noise on a long distant call then you should too.

Would someone else with time to kill please call 1-212-277-3895 and report back here. I would like to show the OP that it is a Vonage problem and not a TiVo problem!

I wish you the best of luck!

12. Alessan

Alessan New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    with the vonage service, will they let you do modem long distance? I know with the local phone companies when you pay for their unlimited long distance, they will not let you do modem(interinet and fax) dialing.
    Only voice long distance is permitted.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    You might have something - Vonage could have blocked that number in their database. Odd, why don't we have a slew of other people complaining? If they did do this it would make a lot of people angry.

Anyone else besides me and the OP tried to call that long distant number? I would think that the price of long distant being so cheap, using a work phone, free nites and weekends, someone else would chime in with an experiment of their own. :confused:

14. TivoPip

TivoPip New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Colorado
    That number worked fine from my Vonage line....sounded like a modem. I have my TiVos connected to my network.

15. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Thanks for testing this out. It's nice to hear from a Vonage user.

You mean the Vonage modem? or do you mean what you heard on your end when calling into the TiVo number?

Remember, she has 2 TiVo's and she also called from her house phone and got "The number you have dialed is not in service". I find it hard to believe that both modems in her TiVo failed at once. :confused:

16. Alessan

Alessan New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    if the modem went bad in the tivo, they should be getting "No Dial Tone" on the tivo

17. 247mom

247mom New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I'm having the same problem. But now my tivo won't even go to the menu. I tried Vonage customer service, they are about as dumb as a box of rocks. I tried some of the process you have listed yesterday, before I lost everything.

In reading Tivo FAQ at Vonage, they say that we have to reset on a land line then reconnect to our vonage, and it will work from there. I was working before switching to vonage, so that does not make since to me. Vonage suggest going to a friends and hooking up to their land line.

Thanks Tracy in Oregon

18. 247mom

247mom New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Okay, I just got off of the phone with Vonage and this is what they said to do:
    Buy an USB adapter and a long ethernet cord and connect to your vonage device once a month for updates. Or you could use a wireless usb.

I have not tried this yet. I will purchase the above and see how it works and let you know.

By the way, I can not connect to the 212 area code. Tivo tells me there are no available numbers in that area code.

Tracy in Oregon