TiVo phone app needs to make and manage phone calls? SERIOUSLY??

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dougdingle, Aug 8, 2019.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

Not sure this is the right subforum to post this...

My Tivo app on my phone updated, and now it is demanding to be allowed to "Make and manage phone calls". If I don't give it permission to do that, the app closes.

This 'permission overreach' by apps has just gone way, way too far.

What business does the TiVo app have demanding control of the phone function on my phone?

2. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    It sounds like you have an Android phone. I don't think the TiVo app really needs or wants to make phone calls. I think it needs access to another permission that is bundled in with the "Make and manage phone calls" permission. This is what I would call a well known Android problem, but I can't remember what the permission it is that the TiVo app actually needs. My guess is it's related to an id for the phone (but not necessarily the phone number, but maybe).

Some apps are really good about explaining why they need a "dangerous" permission when it is not obvious. Others not so much. Like I just installed a new app on my phone that explained that it needed the "dangerous" location permission, even though all it was doing was sending a file via Bluetooth.

3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Yes, I have a Samsung Note9+.

Thank you for the reply and explanation. What really bothers me is that I've been running the app for years, and this is the first time it has asked for ANY permissions that I can remember. I just went onto the Google Play store and gave them a one star review.

I'm still thinking about whether I need the app badly enough to allow it - my experience has been that once you allow the app developer to insert the thin edge of the wedge, that can turn on a dime and make your life a living hell by simply modifying the TOS page buried deep in their web site. Facebook is famous for altering permissions to suit them at will, for example.

These little annoyances keep piling up, and eventually it will just be easier to a get Spectrum's whole house DVR, although I'm certain that will just result in a whole fresh pile of annoyances.

EDIT: However, it will also give me access to PPV movies, plus their endless store of on-demand movies and shows, neither of which TiVo supports. So there's that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. Rowan

Rowan Member

Jun 29, 2000
    Carrollton, TX
    I am using an Android phone and went in to the TiVo app permissions and turned off access to the phone, the app has been working without any problems.

5. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

Just tried that. Gave it permission, logged in, had a look around, then closed the app, went into permissions and turned off "phone permission", after which the app wouldn't load until I gave it permission again.

This is the current version of the app, according to Google Play.