Tivo pausing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by agner, Jan 7, 2006.

1. agner

agner New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Well my Tivo started freaking out on me Monday. If you have ever watched a bad encoded video on the computer where you see that the video is very pixelated, this is what it looks like. The tv pauses about every 2 to 3 seconds, sometimes continuous, the audio cuts out with the pausing. So basically tv is unwatchable. I have been out of town so I have not been able to do anything about it and my wife has been going crazy.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I have unplugged the unit several times, no luck. The unit is only 3 years old and it's a series 2.

I am hoping to get in touch with Tivo today.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Most likely the hard drive is dying.

3. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I agree with funtoupgrade. It is most likely the hard drive since the unit is three years old. You have a couple of options to remedy this situation, but I am afraid none of them are free.

1) The unit being three years old is no longer under warranty. You could simply purchase a replacement through TiVo or purchase a new one at a retail store, but I recommend one of the following two options.

2) Replace the hard drive yourself. It isn't really too hard to do, but you will need a PC with IDE connections. There is a how-to out on the internet and you can get an image for your model by sending a PM to StanSimmons or you can PM me and I may be able to help. Buy your replacement hard drive at the store or online. Any PATA 100/133 drive should work.

3) Purchase a pre-upgraded drive from one of the forum sponsors and all you have to do is just remove the defective drive and install the replacement into your TiVo.

Good luck.

4. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    Something similar is happening to me except not as bad, tv is still watchable until it freezes. I've had my Tivo for a bit over a year. It will freeze (as if paused) and doesn't allow me to do any functions when I press the remote. This only began yesterday after I switched the button that looks like this >l to the 30 sec skip by pressing select play select 3 0 select. Did that have anything to do with that? Please help.

5. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I have used the 30 second skip for quite a while now and I haven't ever heard of it causing this. How long does it normally stay frozen like this? Do you see any pixelation when it freezes?

6. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    There is no pixelization; it just looks like when you pause your Tivo. It stays frozen that way, until I disconnect my Tivo and reconnect back to power source

7. dmichalek

dmichalek New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I am having the same issue. I have upgraded my drive about 3 years ago also. Any chance it can be a software issue?

Is there any way to check the drive for errors?

8. JS2003

JS2003 New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Sounds like a bad hard drive to me, too. You can check the drive for errors, but it involves pulling the drive from your Tivo, configuring your harddrive to boot from a CD, downloading a diagnostics CD and attaching your HD to a PC and running diagnostics. I'd be prepared to replace the HD.