TiVo "Palms"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spiderpumpkin, Feb 11, 2021.

1. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017

Advertisements

Sounds like TiVo is currently beta testing a new UI named "Palms".

Can't wait to hear what this is new UI is all about?

2. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    Source? Sounds tropical. How do I join?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've been involved with TiVo beta before. Wholehome streaming and mobile streaming (android). Rule one is never post, text or give any public info about beta!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

Yeah, I was surprised at that post shared here from DSLReports. He must have alternate identities to keep him from being kicked out of the Beta program.

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Some leakage is always inevitable, such as the project name. Major leakage will get you kicked out. Anonymous major leakage will get *everyone* kicked out. They've had to completely drain the pool twice in the lifetime of the program...

dianebrat likes this.
  7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Interesting! I can certainly understand why a mass beheading may be necessary. I do respect a company developing technology or devices who need things under wraps. If they spend the time and money to develop it, then they deserve the rewards, and let the competition do their own work.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    BUT I WANT TO KNOW!!!

;)

9. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    In this case, if TiVo cares to identify the leaker, it should not be all that hard to determine the most likely suspect(s), as it is unlikely too many of their beta testers reside in Bellingham WA as b10010011 does.

10. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Being a beta probably means it's far along and release not far away? Just glad to hear TiVo hasn't abandoned TiVo DVRs.

connie_w and southerndoc like this.
  11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've been in various betas in the past that were scrubbed because of leaks, it's very disappointing to have one Richard ruin it for everyone.
    I wouldn't make that assumption, I've done enough beta projects with enough vendors over the past 20 years that I've had more than a few that died on the vine, and what became TE4 was in beta for a very very long time.

jrtroo likes this.
  12. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Cannot wait for all the "it's new" haters to talk about how bad Palms(TE5) is and you should downgrade(upgrade) to TE3/4.

tommiet and Bigg like this.
  13. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Well, at least it isn't named "face palms?" ;)

14. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That will become the TCF nickname 20 minutes after it is released and a few bugs have been found.

15. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    inb4 the flurry of threads about how TE5 sucks despite having never used it, and 4,000 separate posts asking for downgrade instructions for hardware that doesn't support being downgraded (here's looking at you, Bolt Vox OTA)

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    For those that like TE4, good for them. I don't plan on touching TE3. And if they can make TE5 without discontinuing TE3 or TE4, good for everyone. The more options the better. All I care about is not removing what I like, which is TE3.

Now, where is TiVo_Ted or someone else to calm our fears (hopefully)?

UCLABB and wbrightfl like this.
  17. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I'm not sure TE3 will ever "go away", at least for Roamio/Premiere platforms that currently run it (given the age of the Roamio, I can't imagine it'd run Palms very well - it isn't spectacular under Hydra as it is) but aside from the minor fix last month, it's basically frozen in time.

TiVo_Ted no longer works for TiVo, hasn't since early 2020.

As an aside, I wonder if the recent decision to stop activating plans on existing Premiere hardware is related to the "new hardware" that's supposedly coming down the pipe. Perhaps Palms becomes the next-gen of TE4, for Roamio and newer, while the existing lifetime fleet of Premieres are allowed to stay as-is, like the existing lifetime S3/HDs.

18. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I just want to be the first that says TE6 Sucks.

Bigg, ncted, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.
  19. andydumi

andydumi Fish. Butt.

Jun 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Why wait, that guy on DSL clearly encountnered some bugs already! :)

ncted likes this.
  20. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    TE4 sucking had nothing to do with it being new. It's about good things that were removed and bad things that were added to the Tivo OS.

V7Goose, samsauce29 and bobfrank like this.