Tivo over Dish DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rondo221, Dec 24, 2006.

1. rondo221

rondo221 New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Tucson AZ

Advertisements

Hey all,
    I have a question and want some Opinions. I currently have an 80 hr Tivo, I bought about 3 yrs ago. thats Running in the Bedroom. I think the service is great and like my Tivo.
    However I also have a Dual Channel Dish Network supporting the living room and computer room I think is the 552 or something like that. What would be my best route, to gain said useage and still keep the Dual Tuner Fuctionality? is it Worth it to buy a dual tuner Tivo. Would I have to buy a whole new subscription or does my current Tivo cover that?
    Both Rooms have HDtvs. but no HD service. So the HD Tivo would be moot correct? Does the HD also down convert to SD so if I ever went to HD the Tivo would be ready?
    Or should I just stick with what I got?
    thanks

2. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    The Dual Tuner TiVo won't do any good with Dish, it will still only record one show on dish. (And a second on analog cable, if you had that.)

3. robbins

robbins No Stalkers Please

Aug 23, 2005
    I like my Dish DVR Waaaay better than my Tivo. My Dish DVR is reliable, faster, cheaper, and better, hands down.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    rondo221,

Could you give us a little more info?
    1. What do you record with your current TiVo OTA and/or Dish programing?
    2. What do you want to record with another DVR? Dish, Analog OTA, Digital OTA?
    3. Do you want to record HD or just SD

Personally if I had an HD TV and Dish was going to be my provider I would get a Dish HD PVR its model ViP622. I would also setup an antenna to pull in Digital OTA which the Dish ViP622 can receive and record.

May be with some more info other people will have other ideas.

Good Luck,

5. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005

Advertisements

Using technology stolen from TiVo. Expect it to be shut down in a few months.

6. robbins

robbins No Stalkers Please

Aug 23, 2005
    Not a chance, Dish DVR's will never be shut down.

7. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    You hope.

8. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Robbins, Chucky,
    Why don't you settle it like the men? Place the wager with a bookie. Of course you need to figure odds somehow (IMHO the fair odds would be 25 to 1 in favor of Dish not shuting down), but if you are men, then propose the odds to each other and go for it. :)

9. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I struggled with that issue myself. I have a Dish 508 which of course has no fees and has an UHF remote. And I just got an HDTV set.

But when I started looking at the details of upgrading to a Dish HD unit today or even a leased DVR I decided that what I have & Tivo turned out cheaper for me and worked fine.

The final deciding factor was ease of transfering programs and Hard Drive storage sizes. I own a Panny DVD burner with RAM disk capability, so it wasn't just the Tivos' ability to burn via PC. I just like to have a copy on call rather than getting up to swap out disks. ;)

My final consideration was that eventually HD Tivo will meet my purchase price point and neither DBS provider has an OTA HD recording capability that I know of.

10. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    restart88;

I think if you look closely the Dishnetwork HD DVR ViP622 can record upto 3 programs at once 2 from satillite and 1 from OTA at least that's what this CNet review said:http://reviews.cnet.com/Dish_Network_ViP622/4505-6474_7-31778299.html which rated the VIP622 higher than the TiVo Series 3.

I live in a "cable free" zone and if/when I go HD I most likely will get a Dish HD DVR and either a Series 3 or a Media Center PC for additional OTA recording capacity.

Thanks,

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I agree with robbins; dishnetwork DVRs will never be shut down.

However I also agree ChuckyBox; dishnetwork did steal technology from TiVo.

What all the court battles will eventually determine is how much dishnetwork owes Tivo for stealing the technology and if TiVo will be entitled to on going fees from dishnetwork for continuing to use the technology.

Thanks,

12. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    TiVo already has an injunction (currently stayed, pending the appeal) that forbids Dish from "continuing to use the technology." So ongoing fees aren't in the picture unless the companies reach a settlement.

We know Charlie Ergen doesn't deal until his back is to the wall, and at that point he may have nothing to offer that TiVo wants. The cable MSOs TiVo is cuddling up to would be only too happy to see TiVo shut down 4+ million Dish DVRs, and they could make it worthwhile to TiVo to do just that. Charlie may have a lot of money at his disposal, but Brian Roberts has much, much more.

13. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Obviously this is not going to happen. IF Dish loses, they would simply be forced to negotiate a license fee structure for the technology they use that infringes on patents.

I would imagine TiVo (to avoid unneccesary legal fees and to avoid getting sued) would negotiate such payments in good will.

14. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I don't think you understand the status of this case. Echostar has already lost the case, has been ordered to pay damages, and has been ordered by the court to disable the offending DVRs. Echostar is appealing those rulings, but the burden of proving that the lower court made significant errors is now entirely on it.

I don't know what you mean by "to avoid unneccesary legal fees and to avoid getting sued." If Echostar fails to get the injunction reversed, TiVo is under no obligation -- legal or otherwise -- to negotiate a settlement. There are no additional legal fees or potential for being sued incurred by allowing a court-ordered injunction to be enforced.

15. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    What I'm saying is, if it comes down to Echostar being faced with shutting down all of their DVR's, they will settle with TIVO IMHO.

I could be wrong, charlie is a little crazy about these things....

AND Yes, there will be legal fees with it being enforced if Dish sues TiVo, even if their lawsuit is baseless. I'm not a lawyer, but I think they could be sued if they refused to negotiate any licensing fee and just demanded all E* DVR's get shut down...

16. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006

Right because I can steal something of yours and you sue me to get it back / stop me from using it. You win. Then I force you via lawsuit to allow me to keep using it for a fee.

Get real.

17. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    It's not who's right or wrong, it's who has the most lawyers and money.

Also, a patent infringement suit is hardly the same as theft. The patent system is filled with vague and ambiguous patents designed with the hope that someone will accidentally infringe on it so you can sue them.

It's not like Dish sent a team into TiVo at night and downloaded their source code...

18. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Well I guess you're right at that:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml

Still, unless I buy it my programming costs would rise as I don't sub to a high enough level. Maybe I was thinking of D*. I stand corrected.

I was actually on the phone with E* about going that way before deciding to keep the S2DT (activated 12/24 but I may be past the CC return date) but my call got disconnected and I didn't hear all the facts. So that and the big rain fade issue I have with E* that I don't have with D* pursuaded me to wait. Kinda having 2nd thoughts now though.

19. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I don't get why that would rate it better than a Series 3. The VIp622 can only record ONE channel OTA at a time.

Unless you can get your HD-LIL via satellite (which many can't), this is far worse than the S3! We are constantly recording two shows OTA at a time during prime time.

20. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Thanks for bringing that point up. In my market they don't have HD locals on E* yet according to the CSR.