TiVo outdoors?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gsutkin, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007

Advertisements

Does anyone have advice about moving a TiVo to outdoors? With the pandemic I want to be able to watch sports with neighbors outside and socially distanced. We have a covered patio, and I am consider mounting a TV with a TiVo unit (maybe move my white Bolt). What about dust, temperature swings? It should stay dry during rain.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Kansas City Spectrum
    2 Bolts, 1 Roamio, 1 Series 3

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd strongly consider an HDMI over Coax or Cat5 solution in order to keep my TiVo indoors.

They're available with I/R repeaters to operate the TiVo from a distance. Or a Harmony Hub with a Bluetooth connected Remote has pretty good range.

-KP

3. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Please tell me more about the IR repeater. Is it a wire running from the distanced TiVo to the same location as the tv? Does it plus into the Bolt?
    Thanks

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, what I was talking about would be integrated with the 'HDMI Over xxxx' device.

The units I've installed seem to be continually re-developed to improve function or add distance or resolution.

Amazon ought to have a pretty good selection. Or NewEgg.

-KP

5. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

Or find a used Mini on ebay, so it's not as bad a loss???

6. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Something like this?
    J-Tech Digital HDMI Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7 Full Hd 1080P With Deep Color, EDID Copy, Dolby Digital/DTS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5RBX2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bpjfFbCYZHM3T