TiVo OTA question - access to ESPN, CNN, Comedy Central

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MarkSFCA, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...

Advertisements

I am considering cutting the cord and purchasing the Tivo OTA and I was wondering if there is a way to get CNN, ESPN and Comedy Central without having a cable subscription. In other words, is it possible to receive these channels on a TiVo OTA without having a cable subscription?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    No.

3. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    All those channels rely on "the cord"....;)

4. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    ...or a friend/family who has 'the cord'. :)

5. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013

Advertisements

The Watch ESPN app that other platforms have works out of home, meaning you could get someone's cable credentials and still watch everything ESPN. I don't think there is a way for the others though

6. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    But there is no WatchESPN app on the Roamio, so you can't watch it on the Roamio OTA, which was OP's question. He'd need a Roku or some other streaming media device to watch ESPN with "borrowed" credentials on his TV.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Slingshot at good friend or family's home. :)

8. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  9. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Do you mean Slingbox?

10. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    +1

This is what I plan to do should I convince the wife to actually cut the cord (microwave signals in my case).

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    The streaming solutions do require good high speed internet so you still may need your cable provider.

12. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I use DSL ( 6mbs) since I cut the cord, and have no problem streaming HD. What I like about DSL, is that you are not sharing bandwidth, like with cable, so you don't get that network congestion slowdown during prime time viewing hours, that happens on cable when everyone starts streaming Netflix.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    These days, that "congestion" is more rare especially with increased bandwidth and channel bonding being used by cable companies. If my network got congested, it would mean I would go from 60mbps to about 10-15mbps. That is still much better than dsl. I couldn't live with slow speeds all the time.

14. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    That depends entirely on who built your DSL infrastructure and how it is managed. If there isn't sufficient backhaul capacity from the DSLAM, DSL can exhibit the same "bandwidth sharing" issues that cable is known for. Frontier, Windstream, and Century Link are all known to have this problem in some areas. Verizon and AT&T not so much since they have not upgraded to the higher bitrate offerings because they really just want DSL to go away (Uverse not included). With the advent of DOCSIS 3.0, most bandwidth sharing issues on major cablecos have moved from the actual cable network over to the peering points with backbone providers, and those are really just about squeezing more money out of Netflix, etc.

15. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    All I know is that running a speedtest, in prime and non prime viewing hours shows basically the same download speed of around 6.3 mbs. I have neighbors on cable that have trouble with Netflix buffering in prime time hours.

16. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Charter Communications recently upgraded Internet speeds in St. Louis to 100 Mbps down / 4 Mbps up. When I run speed tests during peak and off peak hours, I consistently get 110 Mbps down / 4.5 Mbps up. I could never get that with DSL, even if I switched to AT&T U-verse (which is VDSL). So in my area, cable Internet is consistently much faster (and cheaper).

17. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Yes, you will certainly see this in some places, but the investment by cable in broadband at the same time telcos are abandoning DSL means it will become less and less common. Enjoy it while you can.

18. Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    And the next thing that will happen, is that rates will go though the roof, especially if TWC and Comcast merges and controls over 70% of the internet in the US,

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...make-us-broadband-even-less-competitive.shtml

19. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
  20. moedaman

moedaman Member

Aug 21, 2012
    DOCSIS 3.0 eliminates a lot of congestion. You probably have an older cable plant in your area that hasn't been fully updated yet or the update was done on the cheap.

I had DSL (6mbs) years ago. It works fine for e-mail and forums or one streaming video. But when you have multiple people streaming movies or a person streaming something while someone else is downloading something (like a game from Steam), then it turned to crap pretty quickly.

I live in a larger metropolitan market and my Comcast 105/20 service works great all of the time. The real test is when three or four family members are online doing something and even during prime time we don't get any hiccups.