TiVo OTA Product Lifetime Service Amazon

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by standupguy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1 of 16
    standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Hello, new to Tivo and this forum. I just wanted to say what a great place this is! Lots of helpful hints and such.
    I purchased a Tivo Roamio OTA with PLS(Product Lifetime Service) on Amazon.com for $299 around the end of Oct. I received the 1st unit and l followed the included flyer instructions, except I could not get a MAK#(Media Access Key). So a call to Tivo, they inform me that Amazon didn't sell me a PLS unit. So a call to Amazon, they inform me that the unit is defective and send it back, I did. I waited almost a month from the original order date to receive a replacement. The new 2nd unit arrived and it was not a PLS unit either, according to Tivo. Both units came factory sealed, with a flyer stating that it is a PLS unit, from Tivo. So a call to Tivo, they inform me that Amazon needs to create an account with PLS on it and it will be transferred to my account when it is completed. So a call back to Amazon, they can't create an account like that according to the very nice CSR. I told them I just want the service activated and not a replacement unit. I told them I would take the current OTA w/PLS on their site(current value $749). It sounds like one or both of the companies are trying to back out of the deal they created. They are looking into it and will get back to me.

2. Dec 2, 2015 #2 of 16
    standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Anybody else experiencing this problem of not getting the PLS they paid for?

3. Dec 2, 2015 #3 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    see your other thread.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #4 of 16
    standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    I did and now its gone. What's up with that?

5. Dec 2, 2015 #5 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try this one: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10718365#post10718365

If you click on Main TiVo Forums you might try a few of them. Seems to be spreading.

I had an Amazon provided OTA, but cancelled it and went for a basic at $400 on turkey day. It was marked as to be shipped that Friday.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #6 of 16
    garfieldltd

garfieldltd New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    I am having the exact same issue and I am being bounced back and forth between Amazon and Tivo. Tivo said the unit does not have PLS included while Amazon said I can return for a refund. Still steamed and baffled about the whole issue....

7. Dec 2, 2015 #7 of 16
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    The TLS units have a barcode sticker over the original barcode. The box will have the original tape and another one over it since they have to add the TLS instructions inside the box.

They may have shipped the wrong stock.

8. Dec 2, 2015 #8 of 16
    standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    The units I received were both sealed with one original piece of tape(factory sealed) with a full color flyer in it describing how to activate it with a MAK#(non-existent). I can see one time of this happening, but on the replacement as well? Which took almost a month to receive.

9. Dec 2, 2015 #9 of 16
    standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    It smells to me like somebody is trying to back out of the deal! They're hoping for everyone to get fed up and return them without ever sending a replacement!

10. garfieldltd

garfieldltd New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    My box has a red bar code label taped over the sealed tape and it comes with special activation instruction. However, my unit always shows that the MAK is 'temporarily unavailable' in the Tivo's Settings & Messages. It is supposed to have PLS but no cigar.

11. standupguy

standupguy New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Flyer in factory sealed box states: "Congratulations on your purchase of the TiVo Roamio OTA with service included" this smells fishy!

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I got my Amazon OTA Lifetime back in October as well.

When I called to "activate" (actually, switch from the Amazon account to my account), they didn't ask for a MAK but asked for the TiVo Service Number and got it transferred in under a minute.

TiVo rep did say they had problems when Amazon first started selling Lifetime OTA units, because they were all activated under one Amazon account, resulting in TiVo folk having to search through pages and pages of TSN's to find the unit that was purchased.
    Amazon then switched to activating them under individual Amazon accounts when made the transfers 100% easier.

phox

13. garfieldltd

garfieldltd New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    OK. I've called Tivo the third time and got my Tivo Roamio OTA with PLS activated today. I suspect Tivo and Amazon may have worked out some of the kinks to resolve this issue because I spoke to a nice Amazon customer service rep late last week and I was told that her company was well aware of this problem and was working on some kind of resolution.

Anyway, I thought it may worth a try to see if I can get my Tivo with PLS activated today. Who knows? I may get lucky. Sure enough. I called the Tivo toll free number and selected option 3 to "activate a new Tivo device".

When a rep picked up the phone I informed her that I want to activate my new Roamio OTA with PLS. She asked me where did I purchase it and I said Amazon. She said 'no problem' and 'I can help'. Since I did not have a Tivo account, she said she will have to set up a new account for me in order for the new service to start. However, because this unit has PLS she did not need any credit card info for billing. Cool! She asked for my Tivo TSN (Tivo Service Number) which is in the back of the unit and also printed on the box. I gave her my TSN and that's it! It took a total of 7 minutes. My service is now activated.

I'd suggest anyone who ran into this issue in the past couple of weeks to try to contact Tivo again. Good luck!

14. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I bought three of these units from Amazon and they arrived the week after Thanksgiving. Two of the units did not show lifetime service, but the third one did. I contacted Amazon through the website and set up a return for the two non-lifetime units. I was ready to drop them off at UPS when I read a thread where some people had been able to get theirs activated by forcing a connection to Tivo. I figured it was worth a shot so I unpacked them and went through guided setup again. This time they both showed Product Lifetime Service.

BTW, if you check this thread (post #58)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10725877#post10725877

there's a post by TivoSupport_Sarah where she asks you to contact her with your TSN if you purchased a lifetime OTA thru Amazon and are having problems getting it activated. She will process your OTA and get it set up with PLS.

15. TiVoSupport_Sarah

TiVoSupport_Sarah TiVo Representative

Mar 30, 2015
    Good Afternoon TiVo Community,
    Is anyone still having this issue?

16. Photo_guy

Photo_guy Member

Mar 12, 2015
    My only problem is the resulting fallout of the issue caused by Amazon and Tivo both initially disavowing any ability to assist on the unit I bought and telling me I needed to return it. I did that and now do not have the issue - but also do not have the unit I intended to purchase. Since no more appear to be available I am SOL.