TIVO OTA Pixelation

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by WaltSm53, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WaltSm53

WaltSm53 New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Hello,
    I have a TIVO OTA connected to an outside antenna, then connected to a main SUHD TV. I also have a bedroom LCD TV connected to the same antenna, no TIVO box. Both TV cables connect in the basement, then one cable connects to the antenna. I experience pixelation on one of the stronger stations in the Hartford, CT area (the very first station, 03) but not on any other stations. I checked antenna strength via TIVO and it does drop below 50 at times.

However, I checked the bedroom TV for the same station and no pixelation. I then connected the antenna directly to the SUHD TV, bypassing the TIVO, and again, no pixelation. Very strange but pixelation only occurs on this station (which I use often) when viewing through TIVO, either live or a recorded shows.

What in the world would cause this and are there any suggestions to eliminate the pixelation (some sort of signal or line booster?). Any help is appreciated because I really need to fix this issue.

Thanks
    Walt

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I'm confused about how you're connecting one TV and one TiVo to a single antenna. You don't mention a splitter, which is normally necessary. Also TV tuners can be superior to TiVo tuners, plus the OTA TiVo splits the signal four ways internally which can weaken it. Sounds like the signal into your OTA tuners is just too weak at times.

3. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    First off, not all receivers are created equally. I have some experience with using different televisions and converter boxes by trying each one separately on the same antenna and some will display certain channels while other ones won't. It is simply that some receivers are more sensitive than others.

What is important to know if how long is you run of coaxial feedline? Also, what type is it? For example, do you have a 75 foot run of RG59U or a 25 foot run of RG6U?

Good quality feedline is often forgotten about when it comes to your antenna system. What I suggest to people that have the very problem you are posting about, is to make absolutely certain EVERY piece of cable is RG6, or better, in the entire system. By that, I mean that even if you have a short length of patch cable somewhere, say a 6 foot run, that is RG59U, replace it with new RG6U, or better, feedline.

The problem with boosters, etc., is that you have to have good signal in the first place to amplify it. That is not say that it isn't a good thing to use, in certain cases, but it isn't the only thing to consider.

What specific antenna are you using? Are most of your channels UHF? I went with a Channel Master 8-bay bowtie array. It is in the attic above my attached garage, which I don't recommend, but it works very well for me.

Which is better, RG59, RG6 or RG11 cable? - The Solid Signal Blog

4. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Remember that a TiVo Roamio OTA has an INTERNAL splitter to serve all 4 internal tuners.

Every splitter drops signal strength INCLUDING the built-in splitter in the Roamio OTA.

A single tuner in a TV will almost always have better reception than any of the internal Roamio OTA tuners.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. WaltSm53

WaltSm53 New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Thanks for responding. I should have mentioned that yes, the 2 TVs are running to a splitter in the basement, which then connects to the roof antenna. I didn't realize TV tuners would be different than TIVOs, that's good to know. I've tried toe simplest fix first, which is to run through the original TIVO setup process. I did see a few comments in other threads that that fixed the issue. Seems to simple and I expect more work is necessary. Thanks again.

6. WaltSm53

WaltSm53 New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I am pretty sure all the coax cable is RG6 E2E but I will double check. Most of my channels are UHF. I had purchased a ClearStream 2MAX antenna, originally to use indoors but decided to mount it on the corner of the roof. It works great except for this one channel. I'm sure there are better antennas and if I continue to have the problem my next step is to probably buy a more high quality antenna. I'm also doing a complete set up of the box based on other threads in the forum.

Thanks for responding.