TiVo OTA options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Feb 11, 2018.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    A friend of is interested in a TiVo for his OTA setup -I was wondering if someone could tell me what the current options are? It is had to figure out on the phone.

I know they had / have the Roamio OTA with 1TB, 4 Tuners and service included for about $400... I am not sure what the direct bolt replacement is...

He wants to use the TiVo with a few minis. I also can’t remember what model excluded the stream? Wasn’t that the 4 tuner Roamio?

Sorry, my memory is failing me and the TiVo site really isn’t very mobile friendly

What’s the best option?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio OTA and original 4-tuner Roamio are the same, except the Roamio OTA lacks the CableCARD adapter (and perhaps drive capacity). Neither has built-in mobile streaming, or MoCA functionality.

The 4-tuner BOLT models are the successor models, with faster processor and more RAM, plus built-in mobile streaming, MoCA bridging and Gigabit Ethernet.

Like the original 4-tuner Roamio, the 4-tuner BOLTs can do either OTA or CableCARD, but not both at the same time.

Which you choose is dependent on needed functionality, cost, complexity preference, etc., as nearly all the functionality of the BOLT, aside from 4K and other performance perks, can be replicated using a Roamio OTA and additional gear.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    bradleys likes this.
  3. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I've had a number of issues with the Bolt tuners vs Roamio OTA, others have not. Just be aware it's a potential issue.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And importantly, unless I've missed a development, there is not yet a "Bolt OTA" package yet--that is, a Bolt with lifetime package at a relatively economical price (matching the Roamio OTA with lifetime deal).

jackstoker likes this.