TiVo Orders Me a Subscription to Forbes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BrianEWilliams, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1 of 15
    BrianEWilliams

BrianEWilliams New Member

Apr 15, 2002

Advertisements

I just received an invoice for a subscription to Forbes that I never ordered. I called them up to cancel, 1-800-295-0893, and they said TiVo ordered it for me. Thanks for the hassle TiVo.

2. Aug 4, 2008 #2 of 15
    vazquezj324

vazquezj324 now THIS is Colorado

Jul 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Wha?!?! I'm confused...TiVo sales magazines on the side? I know they are needing out of the red...but thats a little silly.

3. Aug 4, 2008 #3 of 15
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Subscribing was a few-clicks option on a TiVo ad.

You got kids that use the remote?

They need an parental control option to disable any online ordering like with the $$ Pay-per-view limit on DTiVos.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #4 of 15
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They need to create a PIN for each account. Then when making these requires on the TiVo, it should require a valid pin. This would keep people from accidentally ordering these things.

5. Aug 4, 2008 #5 of 15
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Advertisements

I suspect its like the one for smartphone or the other mag like that- I forget which it was. But I order it to try out.

the tivo offer said something like "order a free trial magazine" and then the fine print said we'll send you a bill just pay the bill to continue to receive it. And I've gotten a few bills- if you read the fine print (at least on that one) it clearly says it's nothing you currently owe- but if you pay you'll keep getting it.

I think that's a common magazine ploy.

Give you a free one then send an "invoice" that implies you owe them already when really it's for future services only if you pay the invoice.

The magazine people are just this side of the copier supply people that call and ask you to "confirm your copier make and model number" and when you do they send you 500 in supplies and bill you since you have them in your possession.

6. Aug 4, 2008 #6 of 15
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    you can go it with kidzone.

doesn't fit everyone's needs.

but some might find that usefull.

Basically kidzone locks down all functions except npl and live tv (and then you can further lock those down based on ratings and the like to only allow subsets.)

7. Aug 4, 2008 #7 of 15
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The problem is TiVo assumes only one person uses a TiVo. Using Kidzone for adults doesn't make sense. TiVo can easily fix this by requiring some authorization before doing these requests. My guess is the advertisers don't want this so TiVo caves to them.

8. Aug 4, 2008 #8 of 15
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    as i said- doesnt work for everyone...

also- so far as i understand the only thing so far that obligates you to pay is amazon and doesnt that require the pin?

ordering a brochure from lexus, or a "free trial' magazine costs you nothing.

9. Aug 8, 2008 #9 of 15
    BrianEWilliams

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. I believe my 8 year old son ordered the magazine. On one hand, I am happy TiVo didn't do it without authorization. On the other hand, I am not happy my son did. I will go check out KidZone right now.

10. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    KidZone dosn't assume only one person uses the Tivo. You can put in a 4 digit code to exit KidZone and the Tivo goes back to normal. I use it on my family room Tivo that has Kid access. When they go to bed you just unlock Kidzone. Once the Tivo notices no actions for a while it snaps back into KidZone automatically.

It really is a handy feature if you have kids that know how to work the peanut.

11. BrianEWilliams

Apr 15, 2002
    I just set KidZone up, and it seems like a great feature. My boys mainly use the TiVo now that we've moved to HD.

Sorry TiVo, but your insistence on Cablecards has pushed me to a PC-based HD recorder. We still use the TiVo on the occasion that the PC system craps out, like it did last night when starting a second simultaneous HD recording. Makes you appreciate the rock-solid performance of TiVo. If TiVo would let me map the HD channels manually, I'd come back.

12. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I remember that Forbes thing. I almost accidentally did it myself. Oops!

13. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    He has pretty sophisticated tastes for an 8 year old. I guess the trash periodicals that you get don't do it for him. :)

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    my kids like their "own now playing list" so much they get annoyed if they happen to grab the remote after we've entered the code.

Also- if you have a universal remote and can program the tivo standby key- that turns kidzone on. We have our remote set with a macro that when the tv is shut off the tivo gets the standy code and the box is locked up and kid ready.

15. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I was gonna say, Mr. Williams has a future CEO in the family.