TiVo ordering and support failures

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brentsg, Jun 26, 2017.

1. brentsg

brentsg Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Preface: Have been a long time TiVo customer since series 1. Also have been a beta tester and proponent.

I placed an order for a Bolt+ yesterday, along with 2 new Mini's. This would join an existing OTA Roamio, Mini, Stream, and 3 DirecTV TiVo devices. I had a heck of a time placing an order, as it kept encountering difficulties at the confirmation step, saying there had been a technical difficulty and I should try again later. I did finally get the order thru after a few tries.

Being the TiVo fan that I am, I also convinced a family member that they should jump on the 48 hour flash sale for a new Roamio OTA. They decided to do this, and they enlisted my assistance in placing an order. We tried a half-dozen times over 2 hours, but the "technical difficulty" persisted and we were never able to place an order. We actually ended the day fearing the system would catch up and he's receive a bunch of these, and it's now been confirmed that each failed order resulted in a successful charge against the financial account. Yet .. no new TiVo on the way.

Today he called sales support to explain the issue and ask for assistance obtaining the Roamio OTA that he was unable to purchase Sunday. They explained to him that there had been no issues with the site, and they told him he's simply too late to receive the sale price on the Roamio. Zero assistance offered.

I also called TiVo thinking that he must have been in contact with a sub-par rep. Nope. After going around a few times, I've decided to cancel my new order. I'm not going to hand $1k+ to a company that can't handle the most basic customer issues. This was their second support failure, as they put me on hold several times, and after a half-hour of trying to cancel the order they have instructed me to call my credit card company to dispute the charge. After that's complete, they want me to call them back again. I've now spent a couple hours trying to cancel an order and it's not done. They'd like me to call tomorrow to try again, at which point I'm sure the stuff will have shipped.

Just wanted to share the experience. I'm extremely disappointed.

TLDR:
    -TiVo's website had issues
    -TiVo support doesn't care, loses new customer
    -TiVo support gets second chance, doesn't care, loses old customer
    -TiVo support can't even cancel an order

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I have had problems placing an online order before (not Tivo) and switched to my wife's computer and the order went right through. Security settings, cookie issues? Who knows what happens.

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I saw another post from someone earlier having issues with the site also. They had 6 or 7 auths on their card even though the site said error. I am thinking TiVo did have problems but nobody told the folks in Philippines so they are left on their own to fend for themselves.

FWIW I placed an order on their site today and didn't have issues.

TiVoEvan74 likes this.
  4. brentsg

brentsg Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I think it was just on their end. My repeated attempts failed, then succeeded using the same browser, same PC. Thanks for the suggestion though. I agree that it can sometimes help.

I just noticed that the Roamio OTA is still in my cart (different PC) from yesterday at the old price, and it looks like I'd be able to place an order. I offered to my family member but he's already scared off. I mean it's just dumb. Website issues happen, it's life. Support not being able to assist after the fact is just pathetic and self-defeating. I get that they are probably some outsourced group, but it sucks you can't speak with someone that cares.

You are correct. After reading your message I called my credit card company and I had successful transactions posted against the account for each of my ordering attempts (failed or otherwise). Ugh..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. Tanic

Tanic Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I just placed an order. Got the technical difficulty message, yet it is charged to my credit card. Maybe I really don't want it after all. Sigh.

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I was tempted to order another item last night, but figured with recent reported issues, didn't want to chance it in the middle of the night when they might be doing maintenance. Just placed an order now and it went through.

7. brentsg

brentsg Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Naturally TiVo ignored my 2 hours on the phone with them, my attempts to cancel payment, my inquiries on chat and e-mail, and my Twitter harassment. The order I wanted to cancel shipped more than a day after my attempts. I suppose it was expected at this point, but at least they pay for return shipping.