TIVO options...need help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kevin80302, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

I have been with directv for about 3 years and I currently have a hr10-250.
    The HD receiver is nice but I don't record much in HD. I guess I do record sitcoms in HD but that's not a big deal... at least for me.

I really love the Tivo interface and the dual buffers on my hr10-250 but I hate being FORCED to stay with the dish.

What other options do I have if I want to be able to record/pause 2 channels at a time and also see HD content?

Isn't there limitiations to the functionality of the SD standalone 2-tuner Tivo boxes?

Also the S3 Tivo boxes are just too much $$$ right now. Maybe when they gets down under $300 that might be an option.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. davidmin

davidmin Member

Dec 3, 1999
    Oakland, CA USA
    Sell your HR10 on ebay, you'll make most of the cost of an s3.

3. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    I'd love to sell it but my HR10-250 is a leased box. I got it through the dtv retention department for no charge since I bought the NFL subscription (I buy it every year anyway).

I did see that the Tivo community store is selling s3's for $659.99. That's still too expensive.

Kevin

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you want to TiVo in HD, there are only two options. One you have now, the other you are balking at the price of.

The Series 2s only do SD, and if your source is digital OTA (and analog OTA for the DT), it mght not work with that.

Later on, Comcast is getting their TiVo interface, which will surely be made available to other cable providers.

5. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

Hopefully Time Warner in Kansas City gets these TIVO software cable boxes soon.

It would be nice to have more TIVO options.

Kevin

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    One thought.... the Series 3 does not support Sat TV, so if you are thinking of that option, then also think of changing to Cable.

Or stay with Sat TV and what you have, the option to change to cable may not be that cheap once you look at all other costs.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Is TW even CONSIDERING a deal with TiVo? :confused:

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The S3 is the only option if you leave satellite service.

The only limitations are no HD and that with digital cable you need a STB and so you'll only be able to record one digital channel at a time. You can still record two analog channels or one analog and on digital channel simultaneously.