Tivo-Only Users Denied Time Warner Bundle Pricing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tubby, May 17, 2010.

1. tubby

tubby New Member

Mar 13, 2006

Advertisements

Time Warner Cable apparently doesn't let you pay advertised rates if you DON'T take and pay for their standard cable box equipment (ie, if you are a Tivo user). And it took 8 grueling hours of technician and customer service and my own time to figure this out.

I am ready to pull my hair out. Help me out, fellow Tivo lovers!

I can't link to my full story on my blog because I'm a bit of a new user in the forum - but it's pooptalk dot wordpress dot com.

Please don't hold it against me, mods, this is a serious issue!

2. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    I dont think they are allowed to do that, i would start calling Tivo, your franchise committee.

3. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Yeah, I have a cable card collecting dust because if I return it my bill will go up. :thumbsdown:

4. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I would send a letter to your local franchising authority--whoever grants them access to operate in your municipality, usually there's a small footnote on the bottom of your bill with the address. I did that once and got some attention from TWCs executive office about a month and a half later after all the crap they put me through to get a cablecard installed.

5. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina

Advertisements

I have the bundled cable box on 1 tv, and a cablecard for my tivo. It's only $2.50 more per month.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I gave up on it in my area. So I have one collecting dust in my closet as well. The box is "free" with the service, so the difference in price is just the cablecard rental. At one point I actually got them to take it off a few years ago, but I canceled my service for a while. Then when I tried to get them to take it off again, they wouldn't do it. (I even got a credit at the time that was more than the cable card fee...) Maybe I have gotten lazy, but I just couldn't argue with them any more.

7. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    You both have cablecards collecting dust because Time Warner won't let you return them? this is very odd.. Why are you not using the cablecards?

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Because they reside inside one of Time Warner's STBs, which you must take to get the bundled pricing. Time Warner Cable has gone as far as to threaten me that if I removed the card from their box they would charge me for damaging it. Somewhat funny, since the CC mandate requires that they be removable. Why would they need to be removable if that isn't what was intended to be done with them... Furthermore, they won't pair them with your own equipment, so they are useless if removed.

9. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    For me the cc disables mrv so I use analog. If I return it my bill will increase.

10. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    If FiOptics is available in your area (Cincinnati) I would RUN, not walk and get it!

11. tubby

tubby New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Hey guys, I got an update:

Time Warner contacted me yesterday and got things moving along, but unfortunately still tell me I'll have to pay for a cable box I don't need in order to receive bundle pricing, despite this caveat not being advertised in its terms. Maria from the New York office was helpful enough to get my services up and running last night, so at the very least the technical issues regarding CableCards are over.

I was, however, informed that they are not budging on the "must have a cable box (and the accompanied $9 monthly fee) for bundled pricing" issue. In order to receive the $99 triple play package, they are sending a technician over tomorrow to drop off a box to collect dust in my closet while I pay $9 more per month for this box.

They made no effort to make some sort of financial gesture, of course. Crediting my account the $9 per month was not an option. The best I could do is the few "I'm sorry"s for all the frustrating hours I've spent trying to get service up and properly billed. (That's not entirely fair, they did refund a $25 installation fee). Maria even became indignant at one point, saying "You're really going to sit around and wait for a box just to save some money? It's not that big of a deal. Is this really worth it?"

A non-bundled (read: if I don't take a cable box and the $9 fee) Triple Play with the Turbo level of Road Runner internet (offered with Triple Play) comes out to $168.80 monthly, $60.80 per month and $729.60 per year, and that's counting the extra $9 for the cable box I won't be using! That's nice for Maria to think $729 is chump change.

12. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    So let me see if I understand this correctly. Say you aren't using Tivo. You pay for whatever level of cable service you like (Triple Play or otherwise), and you get to use the requisite cable box for free (excluding DVR fee if it's that kind of box).

Now along comes a Tivo user, who doesn't need their cable box. They're going to charge you $9 per month because you aren't using a piece of equipment which they provide for free? And the cable company is out money because you're using Tivo, how?? They haven't provided the Tivo user with more equipment or service than the non-Tivo user. And they aren't losing revenue, because the non-Tivo user wasn't paying them anything for the box to begin with. What you're paying for is programming, and that's no different whether you use Tivo or not.

Or does everyone pay the $9 monthly box fee on top of the $99/month, for the triple play deal, aka $108/month?

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have a bundle with TWC in Dallas for TV and internet. I have 4 cable cards. I don't have a box. I returned the box like 2 years ago and the price for service did not change at all, since they don't charge for the first box. I do have to pay $2.99 per card. I pay something like $135 a month for tv, hbo, roadrunner turbo, and the 4 cable cards. I still think that's way too high, but there's really no other option here.

The breakdown is 87.99 for "Watch n Surf Bundle" and 9.99 for RR Turbo, then 14.99 for HBO and 2.99 for each card. It's about $128 before taxes and fees.

14. comgenius1

comgenius1 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    You'll have to give us an update in a couple months. I'm on cableone in kansas, and if one of their boxes doesn't check in every once in awhile, they come out to the house to look the connections and everything over.

15. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    didnt microsoft get in trouble for bundling things and not letting you choose? I know its small peanuts and all, but I would imagine their is some correlate there. Anyway, I suprised the cable company cant' just keep the box and give you a cable card- likely cheaper for them anyway... I think its more of a 'stagnant company policy' thing rather than a 'thought out rule'...sucks.

16. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    At that point i would tell the operator, i was going to cancel phone and internet from them. Telling them for your $9 your are losing my internet and phone sub. I guess that makes sense.

17. tubby

tubby New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    A typical user pays $9 a month for the cable box on top of the 99, it's not included.

18. tubby

tubby New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    So, looks like we're just about done here. The technician came yesterday and installed the box (I actually wound up just having him install it, I figure they're making me keep it, I'm paying for it, my TV has the input, why not install it? It'll be like having an extra tuner. Time Warner did credit me one month of service for my troubles, which makes up for the extra $9 a month I will have to pay over the next 12 months. Once the 12 months of Triple Play's promotional price are up, I'll return the cable box and buy internet and TV a la carte as that seems to be the most affordable

19. tubby

tubby New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Yeah the tech told me that and I realized well if it's here, and I'm paying for it, and my tv has the input, why not install it? I'll have a backup if both tuners are busy or something.