TiVo Online Transfers between houses?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Mar 1, 2021.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Advertisements

I assume that TiVo Online transfers require that both TiVos be on the same local network but has anyone tried transferring shows between units on two completely different networks? I'm thinking of a situation like snow birding where you don't want to tote a TiVo back and forth. I suppose TiVo To Go might be an answer.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The only way I know that folks have done this is by setting up a router-to-router VPN so both Tivos are on the same (extended) subnet.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use port forwarding on the remote's location router, and KMTTG at the second location, using PyTivo to send to the current local network's Tivo.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo's use Bonjour/mDNS to discover each other on the local network. So you'd need a hardware based VPN that supports mDNS to do direct TiVo to TiVo transfers. Setting something like that up is neither cheap nor easy, so unless you're an uber-nerd who loves IT it's probably not a viable solution.

Using a PC intermediate using KMTTG/pyTivo is possible but it's not super convenient.

The simplest solution would be to buy the cable/adapter needed to connect your phone or tablet to the TV and then just use the TiVo apps ability to stream to watch shows from your home TiVo.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

I'd think you could set up KMTTG to auto-transfer shows to a Cloud Folder, like OneDrive, and then just sync the folder at the 'remote' location.

I'd probably just use Kodi to play them back, though.

You could also do it with Remote Desktop manually, too.

-KP

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    If this worked reliably I'd agree but my experience with the Android app has been abysmal. When it works it's great but then it will crap out and never work until you get back home.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's been a few years since I've used it, and when I did I used an iPad, but at the time it worked well for me.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Doesn't it need the Tivo Stream for that function? Not everyone has that. Only Roamio Plus/Pro has it built-in.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Every TiVo since the Bolt has had it built in. The only ones that require an external Stream are the Premiere units and the Roamio basic . And if you do have a Roamio Plus/Pro you can actually use the one in it for the Premiere or Roamio basic.