Tivo Online Transfer Recordings Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by juvi77, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1 of 48
    juvi77

juvi77 Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Alexandria, Va
    So I received my refurbed Bolt from the Black Friday sale and it seems to be running great so far.

I'm trying to transfer old recordings off my Roamio to the Bolt and some are coming through and some aren't. Both are running Hydra and what happens is I get a complete listing and everything seems to be fine, but if I try to play some of the recordings on the Bolt they aren't complete. After 30 minutes they may stop, other times it's only 5 minutes and the recording will freeze. Seems completely random. Other transfers have come over complete with no problem.

Retrying some of them and it keeps happening. I have them connected via ethernet so I'm at a loss as to what it might be. Original recordings are fine on the Roamio too. Can stream them no problem.

Tivo Online glitch maybe? Any idea on what I may be running into?

2. Dec 2, 2017 #2 of 48
    Weezknight

Weezknight New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Running into a similar situation. All recordings transferred except one. No matter how often we try it, it will only trasnfer 7 minutes of the program, even though it shows as being complete. Original program on old TiVO shows no pixelation or any glitches.

juvi77 likes this.
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #3 of 48
    Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson New Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Same issue here. A few programs transferred fine but most did not.

Any alternatives for getting the recordings over? I have kmttg and don't mind pulling out hard drives if needed.

juvi77 likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2017 #4 of 48
    juvi77

juvi77 Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Alexandria, Va
    Alright, at least I feel like I'm not doing anything wrong now! Sucks it's happening to other people, but at least I'm not an isolated incident. The randomness of it is what confuses me. I have entire movies that transferred fine, but there will be random TV shows that lock up after 52 minutes.

Maybe it's an issue on the TiVo server side of things since all of our original recording are OK? Tried pulling stuff with KMTTG and that works fine too, just can't push them over to the Bolt though.

5. Dec 3, 2017 #5 of 48
    juvi77

juvi77 Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Alexandria, Va
    Just took another shot on one of the one of the shows that were giving me trouble and it came through fine after failing tons of times yesterday. Gonna have to play with it some more today. Annoying to have to check each file individually to make sure it's really there!

6. Dec 4, 2017 #6 of 48
    extrememoderate

extrememoderate New Member

May 19, 2007
    Same problem with my new bolt. Transferring from Premiere for 4 days now and I've successfully gotten one show (out of about 50 transferred) that plays beyond the 10 or 11 minute mark. No errors. Looks like it's complete, but freezes at that mark. Same problem with direct transfers to the bolt. I can transfer the other way fine, and from both machines to my PC using kmttg or pyTivoDesktop. This is a problem with the Bolt, which makes the HORRIBLE "new experience" that much worse.

7. Dec 4, 2017 #7 of 48
    extrememoderate

extrememoderate New Member

May 19, 2007
    BTW, I deleted all the previously transferred content from the Bolt and tried transferring just one show from the Premiere to the Bolt this morning. It completed, but when I play the video, it freezes at 10 minute. I then went to kmttg and transferred that same show from the BOLT to my desktop to see if the video was corrupt or incomplete and the transferred file decrypted and plays fine on my computer. So apparently the (old)->bolt transfer is working, but the bolt just can't play the transferred recordings properly. I tried restarting the Bolt just now and it still won't play.

8. Dec 4, 2017 #8 of 48
    juvi77

juvi77 Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Alexandria, Va
    Yeah, the sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. What gets me is how the files will randomly lock up at different points. It's never like say always the 10 minute mark. I've had an hour show get to the 47 minute mark and then freeze.

And yes any I've pulled to my computer with KMTTG have been fine. Too bad I can't push them to the Bolt that way with pyTivo. Would mean an extra step, but at least it would work.

9. Dec 4, 2017 #9 of 48
    Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson New Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I ended up just downloading with kmttg and converting for saving on my home server. It is disappointing I couldn't get them all over to the actual DVR.

As far as the freezing issue, it isn't entirely random. I had certain shows I tried 6 times and they always failed within 10 minutes of the start. These tended to be 1080i. Then I had entire series (720p I believe) that would copy over 20 episodes without any issues. So there seemed to be a correlation with video bitrate to failure, not that it makes much sense since file size didn't have any effect, which would make more sense to me.

10. Justin Nolan

Justin Nolan New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    I'd like to chime in that I had this exact same problem transferring about 60 movies (HD) from my Roamio to my Bolt over Tivo online. The transfers would get there but randomly at different parts (usually 10-20 minutes in) the movie would freeze and not play from then on. I was running Hydra on both devices. I tried everything including checking the disk in the bolt and a C&DE and nothing worked. I then tried transferring one movie alone after a C&DE on the Bolt and it still froze at the same point.

I FINALLY got it working by rolling the Bolt back to the old software. Now when I transfer from the Hydra'd Roamio to the Non-Hydra'd Bolt over Tivo Online OR from the Bolt's interface the movies transfer and there are no freezing issues. I've sent about 10 movies that way so far and every single one of them works flawlessly on the Bolt. The transfers still work fine from Hydra to non-Hydra so I'd recommend rolling your Bolt back (keeping in mind you'll lose everything on it when you roll back) and then transfer away. Then you could probably re-upgrade the bolt but I haven't gotten there yet (I may roll the Roamio back instead once the films I want are all over to the Bolt).

11. Philisher1

Philisher1 New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I have the same issue brand new Bolt transfers fail after 10 min. or 20 min. Tivo support is clueless, on phone 30 min They claimed I had a network issue or copy protection problem. How do I get older version of firmware installed?

12. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    After I got my Bolt a few months ago, I had the same problem with only 10 minutes of a transferred recording being playable. Now I'm trying to xfer from Roameo to Bolt, it says it will go, and NOTHING happens. Has TIVO secretly decided to block transfers? I've lost a lot of episodes of favorite programs because of these problems - these TIVO is nearly as unreliable as Cablevision cloud dvr.

13. rgcarterva

rgcarterva New Member

Oct 5, 2016
    I figured how a solution to this. About 10% of my recordings would transfer but hang in the 10-20 minute range on playback. Here are the steps that worked for me to resolve the issue:

1. After I had transferred over the 90% that were working (and confirmed that they were), I used PyTivo to download the "PS" version (Settings->TiVoToGo->Transfer Format->Program Stream) of the remaining 10% to my Mac. I don't know if the default TS version would also work but I had read that TS is not as reliable so I figured I'd try the PS version as I had success in the past with PyTivo and transferring PS versions to my Roamio.
    2. I then rolled back my Roamio to the old operating software (How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1). Please note that this will delete everything off of your Roamio so make sure you've transferred via online.tivo.com or downloaded via PyTivo everything you want off of there, including OnePass settings, etc... because once you do this, there's no going back.
    3. After I restored the old operating system on the Roamio, I was able to "pull" the saved PS version of the recordings from PyTivo (My Shows->Devices->Tivo Recordings) to the Roamio.
    4. I was then able to use online.tivo.com to transfer from my Roamio to my Bolt (which was still on Hydra) and there were no playback issues after the transfer was complete.

My best guess is that the PS format is more forgiving of errors and perhaps when using online.tivo.com initially it doesn't use that version but I don't know. It also could have been that I didn't set back up my Expander on the Roamio when I rolled back as I didn't need the extra space for the few shows that still needed to transfer. Perhaps the way that the TiVo stores these files across the two hard disks is what caused the freezing. I don't know what did the trick but the steps above definitely worked for me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  14. Drew Jensen

Drew Jensen New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    I just bought a Bolt OTA because I have my older Bolt connected to antenna, and thought I could save a little on the service fees switching to an OTA. I'm having this same issue transferring recordings from my Bolt running the classic interface - shows appear to transfer, but will only partially playback. If I am understanding this thread, is seems the issue is transferring from boxes with the classic interface to a box with Hydra interface. Is that correct?

Looking at other threads, seems I cannot downgrade on the OTA. I could possibly upgrade my old Bolt to Hydra, and try a Hydra-to-Hydra recording transfers. Has anyone successfully done that without seeing these playback issues? I'm hesitant to upgrade my old Bolt, because if that doesn't work, then I cannot downgrade without loosing all my recordings.

I may first try PyTivo - download all my recordings to my laptop, and then upload to the Bolt OTA. Will let you know how that goes.

15. Drew Jensen

Drew Jensen New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Quick update - I've been playing around with pyTivo. I can download no problem from my Bolt running TE3, and it sees the shares. However it looks like Bolt OTA with Hydra complete disables any kind of upload other than from Tivo Online. . . I cannot see the pyTivo share, and there is no direct transfer option from shows on my old Bolt.
    Looks like I'll be calling customer support tomorrow. If they cannot advise how I can successfully transfer my recordings, I likely will return the Bolt OTA.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    PC -> TiVo box transfers are not possible with TE4. And given that the specifically denominated "Bolt OTA" box currently only works with TE4, that means that PC -> Bolt OTA box transfers currently are not possible.

17. Drew Jensen

Drew Jensen New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Thanks. I'll see what support says about why the transfers via Tivo Online do not work. I'll let you know what I find out.

18. Drew Jensen

Drew Jensen New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Tivo support this morning told me this is a known issue transferring recordings to the Bolt OTA using Tivo Online. I was told I should have a resolution within 6-10 days.

I'm not as bothered by the Hydra interface as others. I kind of like the new guide interface, and the auto-skip is great. Suggestions feature is totally broken (100% filled my hard drive with random recordings within the first 24 hours), but I don't use that feature anyway. However, I only purchased this as a replacement for my older model, and if Tivo doesn't quickly resolve the ability to transfer recordings, I likely will be returning the OTA model.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can use Plex to stream the shows from your PC back to the new Bolt OTA.

Scott

20. Drew Jensen

Drew Jensen New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Thanks, interesting idea. I'll give it a try.