Tivo/Onkyo loud POP when I first turn it on

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by scsiguy72, Nov 21, 2011.

1. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I have a Tivo HD and use an Onkyo TX SR-607 receiver for my 5.1 system
    Tivo is connected via HDMI

Lately whenever I first turn the system on I get loud Pops and crackles for about 1 minute. If I change channels or go to the main menu (Tivo) it goes away when I switch back to TV.

I am thinking it's an Onkyo problem, but wanted to see if anyone else has the same or similar problem

2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Is video processing turned on in the Onkyo? if yes turn it off also check your ARC and HDMI control settings for both your TV and reciever.
    I dont use an Onkyo but had simalar problems with my Yamaha RX-V667 when i first hooked it up to my Sony NX810

3. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I think I fixed my problem. Not sure exactly what I did, but I changed a few things at the same time and it doesn't (hasn't) popped yet.

I changed the Dolby settings on my Onkyo and my Tivo and so far so good

Old thread about the same problem

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Scsiguy. are you using the receiver as a switcher? I have an Onkyo and lately when I switch back from a componet input to a HDMI input it has been taking at least 90 seconds to sinc. I get green and gray bars during this time. Have you had anything like that happen? It just started doing it and not sure if I should send it for repairs yet.

5. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Yes,

I have HDMI cables all around and 3 video sources (Tivo, Blu-Ray, Slingbox)
    Slingbox is the only component cabling

At first I never got any popping, then as time went on, I would only get popping when I first turned on the receiver and after about 30-60 seconds it would stop. It would not happen again until I cycled power again.

I changed the Dolby settings on both Receiver and Tivo and so far no popping

6. Deinonych

Deinonych New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I had a similar problem with an Onkyo receiver (not specific to the TiVo). I couldn't ever figure out how to fix it, so I returned the receiver. Sounds like you solved your problem, though.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Onkyo makes a great receiver but I dont like that they use different codes for turning the unit off and on. The tivo remote cant turn it back on if it was used to turn it off. I did a work around by muting the sound instead of turning it off.